tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* Lore link problems with lossy lists
@ 2021-04-01 17:07 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-04-01 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users; +Cc: tools

I notice that if you pull up the folio patch by message id:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/20210331184728.1188084-1-willy@infradead.org

It pulls up the linux-fsdevel version of the patches:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20210331184728.1188084-1-willy@infradead.org/

But that version is incomplete, thanks to vger being lossy again. so
you don't see any replies to Christoph's email

Whereas if you do s/fsdevel/mm/ in the above URL you'll get them.

I get that this is a problem with multiple lists and wouldn't exist if
vger were functioning normally.  However, lore must know there are
replies that should be on the list it gave you ... it would be helpful
if it at least gave a hint that it has the replies, even if not on the
chosen list.

Put more broadly: when pulling up a thread by messageid, could we get a
redirect always to the entire set of replies lore has even if they
traverse multiple lists ... forget the lossy list problem, annoying
people drop and add various lists from CC's all the time, but in spite
of this I would like to be able to see the full thread.

James

* Re: Lore link problems with lossy lists
@ 2021-04-01 21:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-04-01 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: users, tools

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 10:07:34AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> Put more broadly: when pulling up a thread by messageid, could we get a
> redirect always to the entire set of replies lore has even if they
> traverse multiple lists ... forget the lossy list problem, annoying
> people drop and add various lists from CC's all the time, but in spite
> of this I would like to be able to see the full thread.

Soon (TM).

https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/20201201184814.GA32272@dcvr/

I expect this feature will be in place within the next few months, and not
just in b4 but for all lore lookups.

-K