On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 09:03:36AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote: > I've got to say that creating a spurious merge for the cover letter > looks even more tortuous than creating an empty commit. What > advantages does this have over the existing link tag practice which is > the one that we now use instead of the empty commit? My scripting will apply serieses as branches and then record the cover letter in the merge, I don't do this so much for recording the cover as for the benefit of my testing - I tend to queue up things to apply and then later have automation run through and check things before actually merging them (anything without a cover latter gets dropped into a single series together). Each series gets branched off separately and then gets merged into the branch once I'm happy with the testing. By splitting things out like this I'm helping ensure that if a patch has problems it only causes issues on the individual series and there's less stuff to to pick through and redo in case of problems.