On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 09:08:14AM -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote: > On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 02:43:33PM +0100, Morten Linderud wrote: > > Yo! > > > > Currently packaging up b4 for Arch Linux and encountered a slight issue with the > > release tarballs for the project. > > > > The siganture says it needs to be compared against the tarball of the project, > > however the kernel.org and googlesource.com only allows one to download the > > gzipped tarball. To recreat the release artifact one would need to clone and > > create the archive to have anything to compare against. > > Or run: > xz -cd b4-0.6.2.tar.xz | gpg2 --verify b4-0.6.2.tar.sign - > > You can get .xz archives here: > https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/b4/ > > > This doesn't work that well since we preferably include the sources > > declaratively and not work out a tarball from the source checkout during > > packaging. This also has the effect of most distros packaging the release > > straight from pypi or from git with no release authentication. > > > > Could the gzipped release tarballs be signed instead? Another alternative would > > be to sign the release tags of b4. > > FYI, all software released on kernel.org provides a signature against the > uncompressed .tar archive. This is done to allow providing a single signature > file for multiple compressed versions (.gz, .xz) and allow for recompressing > things in the future with better algorithms or higher compression ratios. Ah well, I did a mistake! It turns out this is handled by pacman implicitly. I didn't need to do anything and the issue is because I messed up the downloaded files :) I had no clue this was even a thing. I also found a bug as it doesn't handle zstd archives :) > Regards, > -K Thanks for the fast reply and apologizes for the noise! -- Morten Linderud PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16