tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* [sig-prover] random tarball signature verification script
@ 2021-04-01 19:27 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-04-01 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools, users

Hi, all:

I resurrected one of my previously unreleased helper scripts that I used to
run to randomly check signatures on various kernel tarballs. It will do the
following:

- download a random tarball from one of the frontend servers
- download its corresponding signature
- check the signature against a pre-defined local keyring
- complain to an email address if verification fails

I rewrote it in Python-3 and I'm making it public just in case others feel an
inkling to run it on their own.

Here it is in action, with the default config:

	[latest]
	  retrieving https://www.kernel.org/releases.json
	  retrieving https://sjc.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/linux-5.11.11.tar.sign
	  retrieving https://sjc.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/linux-5.11.11.tar.xz
		uncompressing xz
		verifying with ./sig-prover-keyrings/kernel.gpg
	  signature is good and valid (created: 2021-03-30)
	--- sleeping 60 seconds ---
	[git]
	  retrieving https://ewr.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/sha256sums.asc
		verifying with ./sig-prover-keyrings/dirsigner.gpg
		checksums signature is good and valid (created: 2021-03-30)
	  retrieving https://ewr.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-2.14.5.tar.sign
	  retrieving https://ewr.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-2.14.5.tar.xz
		uncompressing xz
		verifying with ./sig-prover-keyrings/git.gpg
	  signature is good and valid (created: 2018-10-05)
	--- sleeping 60 seconds ---

The config is also easy to modify to monitor any other subdir, not just kernel
and git -- so if you want to keep an eye on other tools you release on
kernel.org, you can run your own checker with your own keyring.

You can find the tool here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mricon/korg-helpers.git/tree/sig-prover.py

(If you decide to run it, it's best to clone the entire repo so you get the
.conf and the default keyrings dir.)

Please report any problems to tools@linux.kernel.org.
As it's a pretty major rewrite, I expect it has bugs.

Regards,
-K