tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* b4 0.14.0 available
@ 2024-06-14 19:26 Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2024-06-17  5:49 ` Jiri Slaby
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2024-06-14 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools, users

Hello, all:

I am happy to announce b4 version 0.14.0. There are several new features in
this release, alongside many smaller fixes and feature improvements.

# Integrated checks

Both maintainer and contributor side of things are now capable of running some
basic checks, though it's probably the contributors who will find this more
useful.

## b4 prep --check

When working on a new series to submit upstream, contributors can now run:

    $ b4 prep --check
    Checking patches using:
      ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -q --terse --no-summary --strict --showfile --mailback
    ---
    ● c44e5720fc50: serial: exar: adding missing CTI and Exar PCI ids
    ● 7d0281ff188d: serial: exar: add support for reading from Exar EEPROM
      ● checkpatch.pl: drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c:140: CHECK: Please don't use multiple blank lines
      ● checkpatch.pl: drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_exar.c:209: CHECK: Alignment should match open parenthesis
    [...]
    ---
    Success: 3, Warning: 39, Error: 0

Full documentation for this option is available here:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/contributor/prep.html#checking-your-work
and
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/config.html#contributor-oriented-settings

## b4 am/shazam --check

Similarly, you can now run checkpatch on the series you download, though the
default setting may not be as useful to some subsystems:

    $ b4 am --check -o/tmp 20240614171428.968174-1-kris.van.hees@oracle.com
    [...]
    ---
      ✓ [PATCH v4 1/3] kbuild: add mod(name,file)_flags to assembler flags for module objects
        ● checkpatch.pl: passed all checks
      ✓ [PATCH v4 2/3] kbuild, kconfig: generate offset range data for builtin modules
        ● checkpatch.pl: 274: WARNING: added, moved or deleted file(s), does MAINTAINERS need updating?
      ✓ [PATCH v4 3/3] module: add install target for modules.builtin.ranges
        ● checkpatch.pl: passed all checks
      ---
      ✓ Signed: DKIM/oracle.com
    ---
    Total patches: 3

If patchwork integration is configured, ``--check`` will also attempt to
retrieve any CI status from the server.

Full documentation is available here:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/maintainer/am-shazam.html#common-flags
and
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/config.html#am-and-shazam-settings

## b4 send pre-flight checks

Another contributor-oriented change is the "pre-flight checks" that will
validate that certain steps have been properly performed (such as running
auto-to-cc after modifying patches). They can be tweaked or turned off
entirely in the config file:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/config.html#contributor-oriented-settings

# Series dependencies

Another large feature is the introduction of series dependencies. If you are
working on a patch series to submit upstream, but know that it is dependent on
another series that has not yet been merged, you can specify it as a
dependency using one of the following keys:

- series change-id
- the message-id of a previously submitted series
- the patch-id of a specific patch in a submitted series

During send, these dependencies will be resolved into prerequisite-patch-id
basement trailers that is expected by tooling. Contributors can use the
``--check-deps`` command to verify that all dependencies can be properly
resolved or to see if there are newer series versions available.

Full documentation for this feature is available here:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/stable-0.14.y/contributor/prep.html#working-with-series-dependencies

# Other features in this release

- b4 prep --add-prefixes : lets you add prefixes to those already defined
- b4 trailers --since-commit [commitish]: lets you find any new trailer
  updates to commits you have already applied to your tree
- automatically recognize standalone patches : if a patch is posted in the
  middle of a larger discussion, b4 will try to automatically recognize that
  situation and ignore the rest of the thread (automatically applies
  --no-parent)
- other small tweaks and updates : for details, see
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/b4/b4.git/tree/plan.otl?h=stable-0.14.y

# Updating

If you installed via pip, you can upgrade using:

    pip install --upgrade b4

If you're using b4 via the git checkout, you can either update to latest
master, or checkout the new stable-0.14.y branch. You can also download signed
tarballs from the usual location:

    https://kernel.org/pub/software/devel/b4/

# Special thanks

As usual, thank you to the following people who all helped with the release
(in the reverse-changelog order):

- Lee Jones
- Quentin Schulz
- Chen-Yu Tsai
- user dumitruceclan on Github
- Mark Brown
- Linus Torvalds
- Mattijs Korpershoek
- Lucas De Marchi
- Zhao Mengmeng
- Louis Chauvet
- Andrew Cooper
- Akihiko Odaki
- Emil Velikov
- Will Deacon
- Nicolin Chen
- Philippe Blain

Everyone's contribution is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,
-K

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-06-14 19:26 b4 0.14.0 available Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2024-06-17  5:49 ` Jiri Slaby
  2024-06-17  7:41   ` Niklas Cassel
  2024-06-17 19:10   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2024-06-17  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, tools, users

On 14. 06. 24, 21:26, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> If you're using b4 via the git checkout, you can either update to latest
> master, or checkout the new stable-0.14.y branch. You can also download signed
> tarballs from the usual location:

Hi,

with the new toml, strange files are installed:
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/conftest.py
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test___init__.py
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_ez.py
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_mbox.py
/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/b4/man/b4.5.rst


and OTOH, man is not installed (path from 0.13):
/usr/share/man/man5/b4.5.gz

Any thoughts? I don't speak python...

thanks,
-- 
js


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-06-17  5:49 ` Jiri Slaby
@ 2024-06-17  7:41   ` Niklas Cassel
  2024-06-17 19:10   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Niklas Cassel @ 2024-06-17  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Slaby; +Cc: Konstantin Ryabitsev, tools, users

Hello Jiri,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 07:49:58AM +0200, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 14. 06. 24, 21:26, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > If you're using b4 via the git checkout, you can either update to latest
> > master, or checkout the new stable-0.14.y branch. You can also download signed
> > tarballs from the usual location:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> with the new toml, strange files are installed:
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__init__.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/conftest.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test___init__.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_ez.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_mbox.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/b4/man/b4.5.rst
> 
> 
> and OTOH, man is not installed (path from 0.13):
> /usr/share/man/man5/b4.5.gz
> 
> Any thoughts? I don't speak python...

There is already an issue open for this:
https://github.com/mricon/b4/issues/37

which has some more information on this.


Kind regards,
Niklas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-06-17  5:49 ` Jiri Slaby
  2024-06-17  7:41   ` Niklas Cassel
@ 2024-06-17 19:10   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2024-07-17 12:59     ` Maxime Ripard
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2024-06-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Slaby; +Cc: tools, users

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 07:49:58AM GMT, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 14. 06. 24, 21:26, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > If you're using b4 via the git checkout, you can either update to latest
> > master, or checkout the new stable-0.14.y branch. You can also download signed
> > tarballs from the usual location:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> with the new toml, strange files are installed:
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__init__.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.pyc
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/conftest.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test___init__.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_ez.py
> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_mbox.py

Sorry about that, I've now excluded the tests subdirectory. I'll publish
0.14.1 in the near future.

> /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/b4/man/b4.5.rst
> 
> 
> and OTOH, man is not installed (path from 0.13):
> /usr/share/man/man5/b4.5.gz

I'm annoyed at this a bit, too -- while there are definite upsides to using
pyproject.toml, it makes a lot of things that used to be easy now hard. The
stated reason is cross-platform compatibility.

I'm hoping to figure this out at some later point, or switch to
argparse-manpage.

-K

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-06-17 19:10   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2024-07-17 12:59     ` Maxime Ripard
  2024-07-17 17:15       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2024-07-17 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: Jiri Slaby, tools, users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2703 bytes --]

Hi Konstantin,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 03:10:15PM GMT, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 07:49:58AM GMT, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> > On 14. 06. 24, 21:26, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > > If you're using b4 via the git checkout, you can either update to latest
> > > master, or checkout the new stable-0.14.y branch. You can also download signed
> > > tarballs from the usual location:
> > 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > with the new toml, strange files are installed:
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__init__.py
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-311.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/conftest.cpython-311.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test___init__.cpython-311.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_ez.cpython-311.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.opt-1.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/__pycache__/test_mbox.cpython-311.pyc
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/conftest.py
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test___init__.py
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_ez.py
> > /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/tests/test_mbox.py
> 
> Sorry about that, I've now excluded the tests subdirectory. I'll publish
> 0.14.1 in the near future.

It looks like it wasn't enough, with current master (131835a44c63)

$ python -m build --wheel | grep tests
copying src/tests/__init__.py -> build/lib/tests
copying src/tests/conftest.py -> build/lib/tests
copying src/tests/test___init__.py -> build/lib/tests
copying src/tests/test_ez.py -> build/lib/tests
copying src/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/lib/tests
creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
copying build/lib/tests/__init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
copying build/lib/tests/conftest.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
copying build/lib/tests/test___init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
copying build/lib/tests/test_ez.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
copying build/lib/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
adding 'tests/__init__.py'
adding 'tests/conftest.py'
adding 'tests/test___init__.py'
adding 'tests/test_ez.py'
adding 'tests/test_mbox.py'

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-07-17 12:59     ` Maxime Ripard
@ 2024-07-17 17:15       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2024-07-18 11:05         ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2024-07-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard; +Cc: Jiri Slaby, tools, users

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 02:59:33PM GMT, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Sorry about that, I've now excluded the tests subdirectory. I'll publish
> > 0.14.1 in the near future.
> 
> It looks like it wasn't enough, with current master (131835a44c63)
> 
> $ python -m build --wheel | grep tests
> copying src/tests/__init__.py -> build/lib/tests
> copying src/tests/conftest.py -> build/lib/tests
> copying src/tests/test___init__.py -> build/lib/tests
> copying src/tests/test_ez.py -> build/lib/tests
> copying src/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/lib/tests
> creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> copying build/lib/tests/__init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> copying build/lib/tests/conftest.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> copying build/lib/tests/test___init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> copying build/lib/tests/test_ez.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> copying build/lib/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> adding 'tests/__init__.py'
> adding 'tests/conftest.py'
> adding 'tests/test___init__.py'
> adding 'tests/test_ez.py'
> adding 'tests/test_mbox.py'

I believe I made the right incantations in the latest commit. Please check and
let me know (you may need to run "git clean -fdx" before "python -m build" to
get rid of all caches).

-K

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: b4 0.14.0 available
  2024-07-17 17:15       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2024-07-18 11:05         ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2024-07-18 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: Jiri Slaby, tools, users

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1591 bytes --]

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 01:15:04PM GMT, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 02:59:33PM GMT, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > > Sorry about that, I've now excluded the tests subdirectory. I'll publish
> > > 0.14.1 in the near future.
> > 
> > It looks like it wasn't enough, with current master (131835a44c63)
> > 
> > $ python -m build --wheel | grep tests
> > copying src/tests/__init__.py -> build/lib/tests
> > copying src/tests/conftest.py -> build/lib/tests
> > copying src/tests/test___init__.py -> build/lib/tests
> > copying src/tests/test_ez.py -> build/lib/tests
> > copying src/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/lib/tests
> > creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > copying build/lib/tests/__init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > copying build/lib/tests/conftest.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > copying build/lib/tests/test___init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > copying build/lib/tests/test_ez.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > copying build/lib/tests/test_mbox.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/wheel/tests
> > adding 'tests/__init__.py'
> > adding 'tests/conftest.py'
> > adding 'tests/test___init__.py'
> > adding 'tests/test_ez.py'
> > adding 'tests/test_mbox.py'
> 
> I believe I made the right incantations in the latest commit. Please check and
> let me know (you may need to run "git clean -fdx" before "python -m build" to
> get rid of all caches).

Yes, it works great now, thanks!

There's still the manpage issue, but I believe you're on it too.

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2024-07-18 11:06 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2024-06-14 19:26 b4 0.14.0 available Konstantin Ryabitsev
2024-06-17  5:49 ` Jiri Slaby
2024-06-17  7:41   ` Niklas Cassel
2024-06-17 19:10   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
2024-07-17 12:59     ` Maxime Ripard
2024-07-17 17:15       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
2024-07-18 11:05         ` Maxime Ripard

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).