Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Errors in util-linux man pages, here: agetty.8: Missing markup
@ 2020-05-14 18:51 Helge Kreutzmann
From: Helge Kreutzmann @ 2020-05-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: mario.blaettermann

Dear util-linux maintainers.
the manpage-l10n project maintains a large number of translations of
man pages both from a large variety of sources (including util-linux) as
well for a large variety of target languages.

During their work translators notice different possible issues in the
original (english) man pages. Sometiems this is a straightforward
typo, sometimes a hard to read sentence, sometimes this is a
convention not held up and sometimes we simply do not understand the
original.

We use several distributions as sources and update regularly (at
least every 2 month). This means we are fairly recent (some
distributions like archlinux also update frequently) but might miss
the latest upstream version once a while, so the error might be
already fixed. We apologize and ask you to close the issue immediately
if this should be the case, but given the huge volume of projects and
the very limited number of volunteers we are not able to double check
each and every issue.

Secondly we translators see the manpages in the neutral po format,
i.e. converted and harmonized, but not the original source (be it man,
groff, xml or other). So we cannot provide a true patch (where
possible), but only an approximation which you need to convert into
your source format.

Finally the issues I'm reporting have accumulated over time and are
not always discovered by me, so sometimes my description of the
problem my be a bit limited - do not hesitate to ask so we can clarify
them.

I'm now reporting the errors for your project. If future reports should
use another channel, please let me know.

**

Man page: agetty.8
Issue: agetty → B<agetty>

"Since version 2.35 additional locations for issue file and directory are "
"supported. If the default I</etc/issue> does not exist than agetty checks "
"for I</run/issue> and I</run/issue.d>, thereafter for I</usr/lib/issue> and "
"I</usr/lib/issue.d>.  The directory /etc is expected for host specific "
"configuration, /run is expected for generated stuff and /usr/lib for static "
"distribution maintained configuration."

Greetings

           Helge