Hello Michael and Karel, On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:36:01PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote: > On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 10:28, Karel Zak wrote: > > BTW, I'm not sure about man pages as ideal format to maintain > > documentation (because it's mostly about formatting than about > > content). I think about AsciiDoc or so in future. What do you think > > about this idea? > > I'm not too knowledgeable in AsciiDc, but my impression is that it's > too limited in terms of its formatting opinions. > > If I did move man-pages, the most likely candidate would probably be > Sphinx, as is nowadays used in the kernel docs. But, that would > require converting a thousand pages or so, and I have not so far had > the stomach for that. Of course, you have a rather smaller set of > pages to deal with, so a conversion step sould be more easily > entertained. Even though man pages are limitted in formatting, they are universally available and, from our POV, getting more attention from the translators side. We just welcomed our seventh language. Probably not relevant for kenel side docs, but for programs by non programmers (and presumably non native speakers) man pages are good option. (Of course, translation tools for other formats exists and e.g. po4a supports many formats, it also need a dedicated community of translators). Greetings Helge -- Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php 64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/