util-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* irqtop todo note
@ 2020-01-04 10:20 Sami Kerola
       [not found] ` <3e1bf9df-b530-738b-fc7f-00e4cf144420@bytedance.com>
From: Sami Kerola @ 2020-01-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux, zhenwei pi

Hello,

I notice irqtop to todo file, so I decided to look into that. Changes
in my branch are nowhere near ready to be considered to upstream
ready, so no pull request yet maybe sometime later January or early
February. Meanwhile if someone else is working with the same I'm sure
efforts can be combined.

https://github.com/kerolasa/util-linux/commits/irqtop

Things to fix with my work.

* Save git history from https://github.com/pacepi/irqtop
* Write proper commit messages
* Use smartcolums
* Change output header to include hostname and iso timestamp
* Use signalfd to catch signals
* Use timerfd  for periodic execution
* Make main() shorter / simpler by moving bits and bobs to functions
* And the things I don't know yet, but without doubt there will be some

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: [Phishing Risk] [External] irqtop todo note
       [not found] ` <3e1bf9df-b530-738b-fc7f-00e4cf144420@bytedance.com>
@ 2020-01-06 10:52   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2020-01-06 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenwei pi; +Cc: kerolasa, util-linux

On Sun, Jan 05, 2020 at 11:36:26AM +0800, zhenwei pi wrote:
> On 1/4/20 6:20 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I notice irqtop to todo file, so I decided to look into that. Changes
> > in my branch are nowhere near ready to be considered to upstream
> > ready, so no pull request yet maybe sometime later January or early
> > February. Meanwhile if someone else is working with the same I'm sure
> > efforts can be combined.
> >
> > https://github.com/kerolasa/util-linux/commits/irqtop
> >
> > Things to fix with my work.
> >
> > * Save git history from https://github.com/pacepi/irqtop
> > * Write proper commit messages
> > * Use smartcolums
> > * Change output header to include hostname and iso timestamp
> > * Use signalfd to catch signals
> > * Use timerfd  for periodic execution
> > * Make main() shorter / simpler by moving bits and bobs to functions
> > * And the things I don't know yet, but without doubt there will be some
> >
> Thanks for these works. Maybe it's ready to be merged into upstream.
> Hey, Karel, how do you think about this?

Later, for v2.35 is too late ;-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: [Phishing Risk] [External] irqtop todo note
@ 2020-02-06  1:20     ` zhenwei pi
From: zhenwei pi @ 2020-02-06  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak, kerolasa; +Cc: util-linux

On 1/6/20 6:52 PM, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2020 at 11:36:26AM +0800, zhenwei pi wrote:
>> On 1/4/20 6:20 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I notice irqtop to todo file, so I decided to look into that. Changes
>>> in my branch are nowhere near ready to be considered to upstream
>>> ready, so no pull request yet maybe sometime later January or early
>>> February. Meanwhile if someone else is working with the same I'm sure
>>> efforts can be combined.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/kerolasa/util-linux/commits/irqtop
>>>
>>> Things to fix with my work.
>>>
>>> * Save git history from https://github.com/pacepi/irqtop
>>> * Write proper commit messages
>>> * Use smartcolums
>>> * Change output header to include hostname and iso timestamp
>>> * Use signalfd to catch signals
>>> * Use timerfd  for periodic execution
>>> * Make main() shorter / simpler by moving bits and bobs to functions
>>> * And the things I don't know yet, but without doubt there will be some
>>>
>> Thanks for these works. Maybe it's ready to be merged into upstream.
>> Hey, Karel, how do you think about this?
>
> Later, for v2.35 is too late ;-)
>
>      Karel

Hey, I notice that v2.35 has been released. How about continuing this work?

--
zhenwei pi

* Re: [Phishing Risk] [External] irqtop todo note
@ 2020-02-08 17:25       ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2020-02-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenwei pi; +Cc: Karel Zak, util-linux

Yes, that's the plan: https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/pull/952