Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* Tuxconfig - automated linux kernel module installer.
@ 2019-01-24 15:07 Rob Brew
From: Rob Brew @ 2019-01-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hi all.

For my Master's dissertation at Kent University I've built a platform
and GUI to automate the process of submitting kernel module
configurations and installing kernel modules from those configurations.

Developers submit kernel module source code including a special file as
to how these kernel modules are built.
End users have a graphical way of installing said kernel modules, as
well as upgrading them and uninstalling them, and recovering failed builds.

Think of it as a Ubuntu restricted drivers app enhanced by allowing
anyone to contribute a git repository for others to install, or the
windows "install new device" process..

It's a proof of concept, and does need some work in order to be a final
version.

https://github.com/rydal/dissertation-doc
<https://github.com/rydal/dissertation-doc>is the dissertation document,
with readme.md defining what it does.
https://github.com/rydal/tuxconfig-backend
<https://github.com/rydal/tuxconfig-backend>is the back end written in
Java and JSP.
https://github.com/rydal/tuxconfig-frontend
<https://github.com/rydal/tuxconfig-frontend>is the front end written in
C++.

What i need:
In order to prevent malicious code and Trojan horses the platform will
need a team to vet each contribution to ensure binaries come from
trusted sources and Makefiles aren't damaging to the system.

The package and website for those contributing is at
https://www.linuxconf.feedthepenguin.org/hehe/
<https://www.linuxconf.feedthepenguin.org/hehe/>

Features which could be added:
Change the udev rules to make the application run every time a new
device is inserted
Harsher recovery when adding Linux packages.
Cryptographicaly signing the get and post requests to ensure they are
from the application.

I'm happy to work on this concept, as well as moderate the git pull
requests.

Thanks,
  Rob Brew.

only message in thread, back to index