virtualization.lists.linux-foundation.org archive mirror
From: "Christian König" <christian.koenig@amd.com>
To: "Kasireddy, Vivek" <vivek.kasireddy@intel.com>,
	Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com>
Cc: "Kim, Dongwon" <dongwon.kim@intel.com>,
	"daniel.vetter@ffwll.ch" <daniel.vetter@ffwll.ch>,
	"dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org"
	<dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	"virtualization@lists.linux-foundation.org"
	<virtualization@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>,
	"Vetter, Daniel" <daniel.vetter@intel.com>,
	"sumit.semwal@linaro.org" <sumit.semwal@linaro.org>,
	"linux-media@vger.kernel.org" <linux-media@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 2/3] virtio: Introduce Vdmabuf driver
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 09:05:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Vivek,

Am 10.02.21 um 05:47 schrieb Kasireddy, Vivek:
> Hi Gerd,

get_user_pages() is not allowed on mmaped DMA-bufs in the first place.

Daniel is currently adding code to make sure that this is never ever used.

> And, I noticed that for PFNs that do not have valid struct page associated with it, KVM
> does a memremap() to access/map them. Is this an option?

No, even for system memory which has a valid struct page touching it
when it is part of a DMA-buf is illegal since the reference count and
mapping fields in struct page might be used for something different.

Keep in mind that struct page is a heavily overloaded structure for
different use cases. You can't just use it for a different use case than
what the owner of the page has intended it.

Regards,
Christian.