From: Samuel Holland <samuel@sholland.org>
To: Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chmd@chmd.fr>,
	wireguard <wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
Subject: Re: [Android app] Can't connect to a chromecast when wireguard is running
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 14:09:49 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 12/30/18 13:10, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
> Thinking about my former setup with Openvpn, I realized it had a setting
> "bypass VPN for local networks" (under "routing"). Is there such a thing in
> the Wireguard app? (In the peer config, there is a checkbox "Exclude private
> IPs". In doubt, I tried to enable it, but then the wireguard interface
> stopped working with the message "Error bringing up tunnel: Bad address")
>
> Generally, the app which I believe would solve my chromecast problem is
> probably "Google play services" (com.google.android.gms). It is
> unfortunately not part of the list of applications one can exclude from the
> UI. Is there a way to do one of these two things? - Implement a feature
> similar to "bypass VPN for local networks"

That's the idea with the "Exclude private IPs" checkbox. Anything in the
RFC1918 range will not use the tunnel. Could you export a log (there's an option
in the app settings) with it failing, and send it to me (privately if you want)?

> - Make it possible to exclude an application by string input (directly typing
> "com.google.android.gms" in some text area)

You can do that today by exporting the configuration, adding a line to the
[Interface] section, and re-importing:

    ExcludedApplications=com.google.android.gms

The UI currently shows all apps that have a launcher icon. Maybe we need to
change that filter? Can you check if there's a "Google Settings" or similar
entry in the list? I believe that's the name of the launcher entry point for
Google Play Services.

> Thanks, Christophe-Marie

Regards,
Samuel