* Re: Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-11-06 20:51 Saeid Akbari
From: Saeid Akbari @ 2018-11-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GMX John Thomson; +Cc: wireguard

Hey John,

Unfortunately no, I don't quite remember it, but each attempt failed somehow.
At first, I tried with a single swg0 interface on the server, which had two
peers with different ip addresses (cwg0 and cwg1 on the client machine). Used
qdiscs to split packets between the cwg0 & cwg1, but I couldn't manage to
combine them on the server-side.
Then went on with two swg0 and swg1 interfaces, each with a peer corresponding
to client cwg0 and cwg1, and bonded the two with a bridge on the server.
Again, because of different IPs, it really didn't make sense to the kernel to
see them as one, and I couldn't make it so. Eventually, I ran out of ideas and
gave up.

However, the VTrunkD really seemed promising. (it implements the bonding in
user-space, meaning it can actually work, and is more *smart* than a simple
qdisc, and takes into account the underlying connections' properties). But I
simply gave up on the whole idea, mainly because there was no longer a need
for such a thing, plus I didn't have the time to investigate it. You should
look into it though :)

Regards,
Saeid

* Re: Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-11-06  8:42 GMX John Thomson
From: GMX John Thomson @ 2018-11-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi Saeid,

Did you manage to get any further with this idea, cause I was planning on doing something similar

Thanks,
John

* Channel/Tunnel bonding with wireguard
@ 2018-01-22 21:03 Saeid Akbari
From: Saeid Akbari @ 2018-01-22 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi folks,

I have been thinking about utilizing WireGuard on my VPS to act as a central
hub for combining my multiple slower connections and having a faster one. I
had a possible way of doing it in my mind, and finally today I did a little bit
of googling found this article (also learned the real name for the technique:
bonding):

http://vrayo.com/how-to-set-up-a-bonding-vpn-connection-in-linux/

Since this approach uses a user-space daemon to relay around data, it would
incur some performance penalties compared to a kernel-mode driver like WG. So
it's probably not a good idea to use it on top of WG.

The pure WG scheme I have in my mind goes something like this:
- having a single swg0 interface on VPS.
- having multiple interfaces on the client (cwg0, cwg1, ...), each configured
with a single peer, that is the VPS swg0 interface.
- some iptables + ip rules fu to split and re-join the stream of IP packets.

For the third part, I can think of statistic netfilter match for splitting the
packets. But there are other things around which I don't know much about; like
the qdiscs... so I'm not confident if I'm headed in the right direction...

Is this a good idea? What do you suggest? Is there any better way to do it?

Thanks in Advance

Saeid,