From: "Jonathan Neuschäfer" <j.neuschaefer@gmx.net>
To: Lee Yates <rainmakerraw@icloud.com>
Cc: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: Very low throughput in *BSDs (but only as a router)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 00:18:05 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 08:54:48PM +0000, Lee Yates wrote:
[...]
> To present it visually, in case it makes more sense for the visual
> learners among us:
>
> # Full speed
> Virtual client OS [wg] > virtual router > real home router > WAN > [wg]
> VPN server
>
> # Crippled speed
> Virtual client OS > virtual router [wg] > real router > WAN > [wg] VPN
> server

As far as I understand it, the virtual router OS is based on BSD, right?
Are the virtual client OSes that you tested based on Linux?

If that's the case, then the result is quite expected: There is a fast,
in-kernel implementation for Linux[1], but no fast implementation for BSD.
The implementation for BSD is wireguard-go[2], which hasn't really been
optimized.

Jonathan Neuschäfer

[1]: https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/src
[2]: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-go/about/