* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
       [not found] <mailman.1318.1533866648.2201.wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
@ 2018-08-10 13:35 ` Brian Candler
                     ` (6 more replies)
From: Brian Candler @ 2018-08-10 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

> For whatever reason, in the last several weeks, WireGuard been receivin=
g a
> considerable amount of attention, and with that comes various parties
> interested in the project moving in this direction or in that direction=
. And
> more generally, over the last year or so, we've seen a decent amount of
> interest from different folks wanting to do different things with the p=
roject
> and with the protocol. This inevitably leads to the question: what do w=
> actually want WireGuard to be, as a project, as a protocol, as a set of
> implementations, as a design methodology, and so forth? I've had a pret=
ty
> clear idea about that, but I don't think I've ever tried to communicate
> aspects of it in this context, so I thought here I'd highlight two impo=
rtant
> design goals that motivate us.
Thanks for explaining the project background, and your very sensible=20
goals of simplicity and robustness.=C2=A0 And thanks for releasing this=20
excellent piece of software.

 From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable=20
about wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your=20
private key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g.=20
laptop), not even protected with a passphrase.=C2=A0 Anyone who gains acc=
ess=20
to that laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.

Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information=20
which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should=20
concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore, to=20
be able to talk to the wireguard kernel module you're already root, and=20
therefore have all sorts of malicious options available to you. etc etc

But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were=20
required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been=20
flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It=20
would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.

Whilst I appreciate that wireguard is symmetrical, a common use case is=20
to have remote "clients" with a central "office".=C2=A0 I'm thinking abou=
t a=20
hook whereby the "office" side could request extra authentication when=20
required - e.g. if it sees a connection from a wireguard public key=20
which has been idle for more than a configurable amount of time, then it=20
sends a challenge which requires (e.g.) a Yubikey to complete.=C2=A0 I=20
appreciate that it's not going to be straightforward, requiring the=20
kernel module to talk to userland components at both ends.

In the absence of that, it would be nice if the private key which is=20
stored on the laptop were encrypted with a passphrase.=C2=A0 Simplest opt=
ion=20
may be to extend wg-quick so that the entire config file can be=20
pgp-encrypted.

Regards,

Brian.

(*) You could make a similar argument for ssh keys or pgp keys, saying=20
there's no need to protect them with a passphrase if the host they are=20
stored on is properly secured.=C2=A0 I think many people would disagree.

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 14:09   ` Matthias Urlichs
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthias Urlichs @ 2018-08-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 10.08.2018 15:35, Brian Candler wrote:
> Whilst I appreciate that wireguard is symmetrical, a common use case
> is to have remote "clients" with a central "office".  I'm thinking
> about a hook whereby the "office" side could request extra
> authentication when required - e.g. if it sees a connection from a
> wireguard public key which has been idle for more than a configurable
> amount of time, then it sends a challenge which requires (e.g.) a
> Yubikey to complete.  I appreciate that it's not going to be
> straightforward, requiring the kernel module to talk to userland
> components at both ends.

It's reasonably easy to add that as a service on top of Wireguard, once
you have an authenticated connection. The office can easily talk to an
app on the mobile device when it notices a re-awakened stale connection
(triggered by a firewall logging rule, for instance), exchange whatever
crypto it requires, and only then allow packets other than those
required for authenticating to flow through the interface (another
simple firewall rule change).

Adding a feature like this to the WG kernel itself would not be any more
secure (and indeed add a significant amount of complexity which may
exhibit exploitable bugs). It would also unnecessarily enshrine a
particular 2FA scheme into wireguard.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 14:09   ` Kalin KOZHUHAROV
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV @ 2018-08-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please excuse my brevity, phone typing here...

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 16:36 Brian Candler, <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:

> Thanks for explaining the project background, and your very sensible
> goals of simplicity and robustness.  And thanks for releasing this
> excellent piece of software.
>
>  From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable
> about wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your
> private key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g.
> laptop), not even protected with a passphrase.

Not always. You can generate it on the fly (say 1st boot, no config file),
distribute it and be done. Or you can choose to protect it (e.g. pgp), may
be even store it in a HSM. Or throw it (keep in RAM) and regenerate, if
needed.

Anyone who gains access
> to that laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.
>
> Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information
> which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should
> concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore, to
> be able to talk to the wireguard kernel module you're already root, and
> therefore have all sorts of malicious options available to you. etc etc
>
> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
> required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been
> flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It
> would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.

And what do we do (count or not) keepalive traffic?

Whilst I appreciate that wireguard is symmetrical, a common use case is
> to have remote "clients" with a central "office".  I'm thinking about a
> hook whereby the "office" side could request extra authentication when
> required - e.g. if it sees a connection from a wireguard public key
> which has been idle for more than a configurable amount of time, then it
> sends a challenge which requires (e.g.) a Yubikey to complete.  I
> appreciate that it's not going to be straightforward, requiring the
> kernel module to talk to userland components at both ends.

That is way overcomplicated...
And how did you solve your key distribution in such scenario BTW? (hint:
the functionality you request is part of key handling, i.e. NOT part of wg,
AFAIK). The office end can expire any user key and request sidechannel
(additional, 2FA or more) authentication via the established link. Who says
wg tunnel should be to the network core? Use a standard firewall, plug a
RADIUS even, or script your way on top of wg. Feel free to provide a clean
interface to wg and documentation and people who want that functionality
will use the code. Is there anything (e.g. design-level) that prevents
that? Or functionality that is lacking at the core?

> In the absence of that, it would be nice if the private key which is
> stored on the laptop were encrypted with a passphrase.  Simplest option
> may be to extend wg-quick so that the entire config file can be
> pgp-encrypted.

Now that also is not 2FA, and yes it should be a few lines of scripting.

Kalin.

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 14:42   ` Eisfunke
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eisfunke @ 2018-08-10 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: Brian Candler

Hello together,

> In the absence of that, it would be nice if the private key which is
> stored on the laptop were encrypted with a passphrase.  Simplest option
> may be to extend wg-quick so that the entire config file can be
> pgp-encrypted.

one can already do that via the wg-quick PostUp hook, check out the Arch Linux
wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/
WireGuard#Store_private_keys_in_encrypted_form

The example is using pass, switching it for direct GPG (or keepassxc or
anything, really) should be easily possible.

Considering that possibility, I don't think adding GnuPG directly into
Wireguard would be a good idea. It would just add complexity for little to no
benefit.

Greetings,
NIcolas Lenz

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-10 14:47   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2018-08-10 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Candler; +Cc: wireguard

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 02:35:14PM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
>From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable
>about wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your
>private key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g.
>laptop), not even protected with a passphrase.  Anyone who gains access
>to that laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.

I think one way of solving this is teaching the client-side tools to
hook into the TPM. We still grab the key and store it in memory (as
opposed to using TPM's crypto processing directly), but at least this
way it's not lying around on disk somewhere, and it doesn't require
changing anything about the protocol. I am hoping to hit up James
Bottomley about it when I next see him -- he's already written quite a
few tools that use TPM, including teaching GnuPG how to use it. :)

>But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
>required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been
>flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It
>would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.

I believe this is orthogonal to the design of the protocol, which is
supposed to behave in a "stateless" fashion and resume transparently
after even prolonged downtimes. We use 2-factor authentication with
OpenVPN, and one of the most annoying aspects about it is the fact that
you have to manually re-auth after each VPN blip. If you don't do it
quickly enough, all your sessions get reset -- most horrible experience
if you are hoping your ssh connection to a server doesn't get severed in
the middle of a yum update.

>Whilst I appreciate that wireguard is symmetrical, a common use case is
>to have remote "clients" with a central "office".  I'm thinking about a
>hook whereby the "office" side could request extra authentication when
>required - e.g. if it sees a connection from a wireguard public key
>which has been idle for more than a configurable amount of time, then
>it sends a challenge which requires (e.g.) a Yubikey to complete.  I
>appreciate that it's not going to be straightforward, requiring the
>kernel module to talk to userland components at both ends.

I think Wireguard's primary strength is its resilience to network blips
and fast operation. We intend to use it for site-to-site connectivity
across disjointed infrastructure where it will certainly operate much
smoother than OpenVPN or ipsec. For admin-to-site connections we will
continue to use OpenVPN or some combination thereof, until we figure out
a straightforward way of "upgrading" access level of a wireguard
connection. I suspect this is fairly easy with iptables and fwmark, but
I need to test and streamline it.

-K

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-10 15:03   ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2018-08-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Candler; +Cc: wireguard

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 14:35:14 +0100
Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:

>  From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable=20
> about wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your=20
> private key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g.=20
> laptop), not even protected with a passphrase.=C2=A0 Anyone who gains acc=
ess=20
> to that laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.
>=20
> Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information=20
> which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should=20
> concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore, to=20
> be able to talk to the wireguard kernel module you're already root, and=20
> therefore have all sorts of malicious options available to you. etc etc
>=20
> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were=20
> required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been=20
> flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It=20
> would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.

Couldn't you just encrypt your home directory? Or even the root FS entirely.
Either of those should be a must on a portable device storing valuable
information.

--=20
With respect,
Roman

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 16:03     ` Brian Candler
From: Brian Candler @ 2018-08-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Mamedov; +Cc: wireguard

On 10/08/2018 16:03, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
>> required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been
>> flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It
>> would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.
> Couldn't you just encrypt your home directory? Or even the root FS entirely.
> Either of those should be a must on a portable device storing valuable
> information.

But by analogy, would you say that SSH keys and PGP keys don't need
protection by a passphrase?

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 16:38       ` Kalin KOZHUHAROV
From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV @ 2018-08-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 19:04 Brian Candler, <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/2018 16:03, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>
> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
> required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been
> flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It
> would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.
>
> Couldn't you just encrypt your home directory? Or even the root FS entirely.
> Either of those should be a must on a portable device storing valuable
> information.
>
> But by analogy, would you say that SSH keys and PGP keys don't need
> protection by a passphrase?

Yes, I will say so. I (almost) never use it, it is either too unsecure yet
cumbersome, so I use separate devices (nFA), encrypted FS, etc. where
needed. Or nothing at all.

Kalin.

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 16:40       ` jungle Boogie
From: jungle Boogie @ 2018-08-10 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 August 2018 at 09:03, Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/2018 16:03, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>
> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
> required to establish a wireguard connection, if no packets had been
> flowing for more than a configurable amount of time - say, an hour. It
> would give some comfort around lost/stolen devices.
>
> Couldn't you just encrypt your home directory? Or even the root FS entirely.
> Either of those should be a must on a portable device storing valuable
> information.
>
> But by analogy, would you say that SSH keys and PGP keys don't need
> protection by a passphrase?

If someone already has my ssh key, I'd revoke it - regardless if they
had the password or not.
Same with the WG key - shutdown the tunnel, remove the affected peer
and start it back up.

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 17:12         ` Aaron Jones
From: Aaron Jones @ 2018-08-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jungle Boogie; +Cc: wireguard

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 17:25           ` jungle Boogie
From: jungle Boogie @ 2018-08-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 10/08/18 16:40, jungle Boogie wrote:
>> If someone already has my ssh key, I'd revoke it - regardless if
>> they had the password or not. Same with the WG key - shutdown the
>> tunnel, remove the affected peer and start it back up.
>
> No need to interrupt the tunnel.
>
> # wg set <interface> peer <publickey> remove

Dang, that's cool! That's for the info.

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-10 20:15   ` em12345
From: em12345 @ 2018-08-10 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

> From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable about
> wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your private
> key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g. laptop), not
> even protected with a passphrase.

Most VPN authentications are just authorizing the machine and not the
user sitting in front of that machine.

> Anyone who gains access to that
> laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.
>
> Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information
> which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should
> concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore,

No matter how much keys, passwords or tokens have to be entered by the
user sitting in front of that machine, any other user already on that
machine, will gain sooner or later access to the tunnel. This user or
attacker doesn't even need to see/know wireguard's private key nor does
the attacker need root access. Think of a second user logged in on that
machine.

It is definitely a bad idea to assume that the tunnel traffic of one
"client" (in terms of wg's client key pair) comes from a specific user.
Which also means that even multi factor VPN authentication still require
all services inside the tunnel to ask for user authentication.

Emmanuel

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 23:07     ` Reuben Martin
From: Reuben Martin @ 2018-08-10 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018, 3:16 PM em12345 <em12345@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > From my point of view, the only thing which makes me uncomfortable about
> > wireguard is the lack of any second authentication factor. Your private
> > key is embedded in a plaintext file in your device (e.g. laptop), not
> > even protected with a passphrase.
>
> Most VPN authentications are just authorizing the machine and not the
> user sitting in front of that machine.
>
> > Anyone who gains access to that
> > laptop is able to establish wireguard connections.
> >
> > Of course, it can be argued that the laptop holds other information
> > which is more valuable that the wireguard key, therefore you should
> > concentrate on properly securing the laptop itself (*). Furthermore,
>
> No matter how much keys, passwords or tokens have to be entered by the
> user sitting in front of that machine, any other user already on that
> machine, will gain sooner or later access to the tunnel. This user or
> attacker doesn't even need to see/know wireguard's private key nor does
> the attacker need root access. Think of a second user logged in on that
> machine.
>
> It is definitely a bad idea to assume that the tunnel traffic of one
> "client" (in terms of wg's client key pair) comes from a specific user.
> Which also means that even multi factor VPN authentication still require
> all services inside the tunnel to ask for user authentication.

It should me noted that it is possible to isolate the VPN access to a
specific user if you assign login sessions to isolated network namespaces
and place the wireguard interface within the user's namespace.

-Reuben

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-11 19:18   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-08-11 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:
> But I'd feel a lot happier if a second level of authentication were
> required to establish a wireguard connection

I think that given the WireGuard building block, it's certainly
possible to build a 2FA framework around it. And I do generally like
2FA and short-lived credentials and such. Probably after getting the
implementations buttoned up -- kernel mainline, windows, etc -- I'll
turn a bit of attention to expanding tooling and full packages around
the simple wg0 interface.

Jason

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-11 22:52     ` Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
From: Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca @ 2018-08-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think that given the WireGuard building block, it's certainly
> possible to build a 2FA framework around it.

I see these wireguard extra features just like dhcp is. Nobody thinks about
implementing dhcp inside kernel or even iproute tools.

+1 for 2FA and +1 for a service that share peer info, allowing a mesh vpn

> --

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca
luizluca@gmail.com

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-12  0:15       ` Aaron Jones
From: Aaron Jones @ 2018-08-12  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-12  0:46         ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-08-12  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-08-12  1:07           ` Aaron Jones
From: Aaron Jones @ 2018-08-12  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Reflections on WireGuard Design Goals
@ 2018-08-10 15:19 ` nicolas prochazka
From: nicolas prochazka @ 2018-08-10 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,
just to say you, as a simple end user
we are using wireguard since one year for our product,
we have 10K tunnels deployed ,
wireguard is perfect for us, very simple, we can develop our specific
code on top of if ( key management , ....)
so +1 for jason vision
thanks for this piece of code
Regards,
Nicolas

Le jeu. 9 ao=C3=BBt 2018 =C3=A0 23:52, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com>=
 a =C3=A9crit :

> Hey list,
>
> For whatever reason, in the last several weeks, WireGuard been receiving =
> considerable amount of attention, and with that comes various parties
> interested in the project moving in this direction or in that direction. =
And
> more generally, over the last year or so, we've seen a decent amount of
> interest from different folks wanting to do different things with the pro=
ject
> and with the protocol. This inevitably leads to the question: what do we
> actually want WireGuard to be, as a project, as a protocol, as a set of
> implementations, as a design methodology, and so forth? I've had a pretty
> clear idea about that, but I don't think I've ever tried to communicate
> aspects of it in this context, so I thought here I'd highlight two import=
ant
> design goals that motivate us.
>
> Firstly, WireGuard intends on continuing to have a minimal core, without =
a lot
> of options and wild features and support for weird networking paradigms. =
Sure,
> we want the core to be sufficiently flexible that you can build interesti=
ng
> and complex things on top of it, but we don't want WireGuard itself to be
> complicated. We enjoy our small understandable configuration files, an
> interface that appears to be mostly stateless, and general ease of use. E=
ven
> from a cryptography and implementation perspective, the protocol is desig=
ned
> to be implementable using simple algorithms and coding techniques.
>
> With that kind of minimalism naturally comes the temptation to add things=
.
> Simply from the perspective of an interested engineer, it's appealing to
> extend and hack on small manageable codebases and projects, since adding =
> single feature here or there just isn't that hard. And after all, if you'=
re
> *just* adding *one* feature, it's only one, and that's not so bad, right?=
 And

@ 2018-08-09 21:52 Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-08-09 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey list,

[...]

extend and hack on small manageable codebases and projects, since adding a
[...]

deeply security-oriented. Of course there will inevitably be scary bugs we
[...]

  projects, and while sometimes everyone's interests align perfectly, it's
  easy to loose sight of the broader project goal; in particular, the goal =
of
  minimalism in particular is easy to leave by the wayside.

- Folks who want their own corner of the Internet: We've already seen this
  with a project, and as things accelerate, we'll probably also see it with
  others. It's fun to run a project, and some people want to start with
  WireGuard (and even our webpage design) but then spin it into all sorts o=
  new clever and creative things, extending the protocol, adding features,
  shipping code hastily, with the explicit caveat of not working within the
  WireGuard project or sticking with our design goals. Some folks simply
  aren't interested in joining community projects. While I understand the f=
un
  and motivation of having your own corner, depending on the scale, I think
  ultimately it's harmful to users and harmful to the project as a whole. I
[...]

quietly and surely as ever. But should things continue to grow in usage as