WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.net>
To: zrm <zrm@trustiosity.com>
Cc: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: idle traffic considerations
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 12:33:39 +0500

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 16:18:52 -0500
zrm <zrm@trustiosity.com> wrote:

> Ballpark estimate, round a keepalive packet to about a hundred bytes.
> You're also going to get a re-keys, call those two hundred bytes. If you
> have a keepalive every 30 seconds and a re-key every 120 seconds, that's
> around 18KB per hour per peer in each direction.

And read the small-print of mobile carrier plans, at least in our country[1]
they love so much to tally-up the user transferred data every hour, while also
rounding that up to nearest 250 KB, or even 1 MB. So even in the above
scenario they would bill for at least 250 KB/hour.

[1] http://tyumen.megafon.ru/tariffs/all/megafon-online.html

--
With respect,
Roman