WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* DNS tunneling only
@ 2019-01-07  6:09 Mario García
From: Mario García @ 2019-01-07  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

Is it possible to tunnel DNS requests only from the client to the
wireguard server?

There are a lot of OpenVPN projects that use this feature to have a
"clean internet" without ads in the devices (android, pc,...) like DNS66
app.

I use a OpenVPN server in a free tier Google Cloud VPN but it is laggy
and a battery killer so I would like to move to wireguard instead of IPSec.

Thanks in advance

* Re: DNS tunneling only
@ 2019-01-08  7:40 ` Kalin KOZHUHAROV
From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV @ 2019-01-08  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 3:25 AM Mario García <mariogdlt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to tunnel DNS requests only from the client to the
> wireguard server?

Yes... easy, if you want the responses to those requests going through
the tunnel as well.

It is just a tunnel, what you put in there is up to you. So add a
route to your DNS server only via the tunnel, leave the default route
as it is.

And no, there is no magic button that will do exactly that.

Kalin.

* Re: DNS tunneling only
@ 2019-01-08  8:19 ` Christoffer Hansen
From: Christoffer Hansen @ 2019-01-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)