* Android app: length of name
@ 2021-11-06 13:22 Christoph Loesch
From: Christoph Loesch @ 2021-11-06 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

in the android app the name is limited to 15 characters.

Does that have a specific reason?
Is it possible to allow a longer name like e.g. 32 characters?

On importing a file the error "Invalid name" could be more specific to that.
Because I had to struggle with the file name until I found out it is just a limitation of the length.

Kind regards,
Christoph

* Re: Android app: length of name
@ 2021-11-06 16:54 ` Aaron Jones
From: Aaron Jones @ 2021-11-06 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard; +Cc: Christoph Loesch

On 06/11/2021 13:22, Christoph Loesch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the android app the name is limited to 15 characters.
>
> Does that have a specific reason?
> Is it possible to allow a longer name like e.g. 32 characters?
>
> On importing a file the error "Invalid name" could be more specific
> to that. Because I had to struggle with the file name until I found
> out it is just a limitation of the length.
>
> Kind regards,
> Christoph

The network name determines the interface name, and on Linux, the
length of an interface name (e.g. "eth0") is limited to 15 characters.

Regards,
Aaron Jones

* Re: Android app: length of name
@ 2021-11-06 17:21   ` Christoph Loesch
From: Christoph Loesch @ 2021-11-06 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jones, wireguard

Am 06.11.2021 um 17:54 schrieb Aaron Jones:
> On 06/11/2021 13:22, Christoph Loesch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the android app the name is limited to 15 characters.
>>
>> Does that have a specific reason?
>> Is it possible to allow a longer name like e.g. 32 characters?
>>
>> On importing a file the error "Invalid name" could be more specific
>> to that. Because I had to struggle with the file name until I found
>> out it is just a limitation of the length.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Christoph
> The network name determines the interface name, and on Linux, the
> length of an interface name (e.g. "eth0") is limited to 15 characters.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron Jones

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks, that explains the limitation.

Then I would suggest to note the limitation of 15 characters in the error message on config import, if possible.

@ 2021-11-06 21:20     ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2021-11-06 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 1:23 PM Christoph Loesch <wireguard-mail@chil.at> wrote:
> Oh, I didn't know that, thanks, that explains the limitation.
>
> Then I would suggest to note the limitation of 15 characters in the error message on config import, if possible.

I _think_ that may be this define:

$ grep -IR -E 'IFNAME|IF_NAME' /usr/include | grep -E 'LENGTH|SIZE'
/usr/include/net/if.h:#define IF_NAMESIZE       16
/usr/include/net/if.h:# define IFNAMSIZ IF_NAMESIZE

Jeff