From: "Justin Kilpatrick" <justin@althea.net>
To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: Status of Bird<->wireguard integration
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 15:36:28 -0400	[thread overview]

I run a Babel/Wireguard combo which is pretty similar to what your imagining. I have an implemented and (somewhat) working solution to do what you describe that's currently in production.

Wireguard in it's current form can not do fast fail-over in a practical way. This isn't really WireGuard's fault so mach as it is a consequence of the security model.

Imagine for a moment you have two WireGuard servers and a client. Exactly like your ASSCI example. The client determines that it's connection to server 1 is degraded or otherwise failed and starts directing packets to server 2.

Since the client has a valid handshake with server 1, it's sending packets symmetricly encrypted with a key server 2 does not have. All packets get discarded until the handshake expires a minute later and is renegotiated with server 2.

Obviously this makes the clients very unhappy.

I'm not familiar enough with the cryptography design of WireGuard to really comment on a good solution. Ideally the server could recognize this situation and do an immediate handshake without compromising security.

--
  Justin Kilpatrick
  justin@althea.net