* ArchLinux wireguard install
@ 2020-01-29 10:13 Frank Tornack
From: Frank Tornack @ 2020-01-29 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

hello all,

I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but I am very unsure.
I received a voucher for a VPN service at a trade fair and would like
to test it. The service Mullvad VPN uses the technology WireGuard. And
I use ArchLinux.

My question was created by the ArchLinux Wiki. There it already refers
to the kernel 5.6, which should support this function without a module.
Now my question is, is it better to wait for this kernel or just
install the module? Would it be a problem if I forgot to delete the
module again? I am using the Network Manager, what do I need to be
aware of?

Many thanks in advance and thank you for developing this tool.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Frank Tornack

* Re: ArchLinux wireguard install
@ 2020-01-30  2:23 ` Dr. Benjamin Flesch
From: Dr. Benjamin Flesch @ 2020-01-30  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: planung; +Cc: WireGuard

Hi Frank,

I am also running WireGuard on arch. I think there are two relevant packages in AUR right now, one of them is wireguard-dams.

Just install these packages and don’t bother with NetworkManager - use the wg-quick command line tool to spin up the vpn. I have configured it persistently in /etc/wireguard/ folder.

I think after the fresh kernel we can just deinstall the AUR packages and there won’t be any problem.

Best
Benjamin

Sent from a mobile device.

@ 2020-01-30  7:03 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2020-01-30  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at the mullvad program for arch in the AUR.
But I'd also ask in the Networking section on the archlinux forums
regarding the upgrade path for the module and kernel.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=8

@ 2020-01-30  7:40   ` Frank Tornack
From: Frank Tornack @ 2020-01-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would not like to use extra vendor software if there are other ways.
Unfortunately I cannot find your post in the forum.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Frank Tornack

"Shelter," what a nice name for for a place where you polish your cat.

@ 2020-01-30  7:56     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2020-01-30  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I meant post the same question you posted here in the Arch forums.

I use the module and tools currently and it’s great, however I just use the wg-quick systemd to deal with bringing it up on boot, I don’t like nm.

I suspect once it’s in the kernel the maintainer in arch will remove the module through an update for 5.6+ versions.

@ 2020-01-30  9:05   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-01-30  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)