From: Rich Brown <richb.hanover@gmail.com>
To: "Ivan Labáth" <labawi-wg@matrix-dream.net>
Cc: "Tomcsanyi, Domonkos" <domi@tomcsanyi.net>,
	Gunnar Niels <gunnar.s.niels@gmail.com>,
	wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: Confused about AllowedIPs meaning?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:57:31 -0400	[thread overview]

These are helpful comments.

> On Jul 29, 2020, at 6:18 PM, Ivan Labáth <labawi-wg@matrix-dream.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 05:33:43PM -0400, Rich Brown wrote:
>> AllowedIPs is the set of addresses that your WireGuard peer will send across the tunnel to its peer.
>
> The definition is close, but not precise. Assuming things haven't
> changed much:
>
>  AllowedIPs specifies the set of addresses that your WireGuard
> host will send across the tunnel to its peer, and accept from
> the peer.

I think you and M. Rubon from earlier this afternoon are saying much the same thing. I like those definitions because they make it explicit that the AllowedIPs are used both for transmission (only packets with those destinations will be sent through the tunnel) and receipt (only those source addresses will be allowed back through the tunnel).

But I believe these definitions still leave uncertainty:

- Should the definition of AllowedIPs mention the "Address" of the peer? That is, must the peer's Address be listed in AllowedIPs? [*]
- Some guides state that the Address specified for this peer and the other peer should be chosen from a subnet different from any on the networks. Is this a recommendation? A requirement? [**]

My goal is to produce a straightforward "can't fail" guide for people who simply want to set up a VPN from their laptop to their office or home network. (Of course, the definitions must be correct, but I want to leave out all the details and options that aren't essential for that simple case.) Is the following a "good enough" definition to include in a "Just Do This" guide?

> AllowedIPs  — a comma-separated list of IP (v4 or v6) addresses with CIDR masks which are allowed:
> - as destination addresses when sending via this peer and
> - as source addresses when receiving via this peer.

Thanks.

Rich

[*] I think it is not necessary to specify the peer's Address in AllowedIPs. If it's not included, it won't be possible to interact with the peer using that address (since it's not in AllowedIPs). However, the peer will likely have an address that *is* in AllowedIPs, and that's how it will be accessible. True?

[**] I suspect it would be possible to assign each peer's Address from an existing subnet. But for simplicity, the I believe the guide should recommend a completely different subnet for the peers to avoid any confusion. True?

PS The remainder of the note is good/correct, but it muddies the water by bringing up lots options and special cases that don't apply to the simplest use cases.