* Speed on Raspberry Pi 4
@ 2019-06-29 10:38 Christopher Bachner
From: Christopher Bachner @ 2019-06-29 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 457 bytes --]

Hello,

I got a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB Ram.

I ran some benchmarks. With pure iperf3 I get 950 Mbit/s.

With wireguard in the same network I can only get max 750 Mbit/s (which in
itself is already great).

In htop I can see that one of the 4 cores is running at 99%. So I assume
that is the bottleneck.

[image: image.png]

Is there a way to improve this? I assume it does not matter which side is
the server and which is the client?

Thanks,

Christopher

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 739 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9933 bytes --]

* Re: Speed on Raspberry Pi 4
@ 2019-07-17 20:50 ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2019-07-17 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:38:01 +0200
Christopher Bachner <hello@chrisbox.org> wrote:

> In htop I can see that one of the 4 cores is running at 99%. So I assume
> that is the bottleneck.
>
> Is there a way to improve this? I assume it does not matter which side is
> the server and which is the client?

You can see that the load from WireGuard encryption is about 42-43% per each
core. But the thing is, one of them (the 1st) also gets to process interrupt
load from the NIC, and that consumes the rest of it, causing the bottleneck. In
theory, if you could limit WG to run encryption on all cores EXCEPT the first
one, then maaaaybe...

Another way would be to use a NIC which is capable of splitting interrupt load
across multiple CPU cores. But I believe the RPi one can't do that, and no USB
NICs can.

--
With respect,
Roman

* Re: Speed on Raspberry Pi 4
@ 2019-07-18  6:38   ` Janne Johansson
From: Janne Johansson @ 2019-07-18  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den ons 17 juli 2019 kl 22:53 skrev Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.net>:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:38:01 +0200
> Christopher Bachner <hello@chrisbox.org> wrote:
> > In htop I can see that one of the 4 cores is running at 99%. So I assume
> > that is the bottleneck.
> > Is there a way to improve this? I assume it does not matter which side is
> > the server and which is the client?
>
> You can see that the load from WireGuard encryption is about 42-43% per
> each
> core. But the thing is, one of them (the 1st) also gets to process
> interrupt
> load from the NIC, and that consumes the rest of it, causing the
> bottleneck. In
> theory, if you could limit WG to run encryption on all cores EXCEPT the
> first
> one, then maaaaybe...

With taskset you should be able to:
https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-taskset-command/

* Re: Speed on Raspberry Pi 4
@ 2019-07-18  6:56     ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2019-07-18  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 08:38:54 +0200
Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@gmail.com> wrote:

> With taskset you should be able to:
> https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-taskset-command/

It appears "taskset" only works on regular programs, not kernel threads:

# taskset -p -c 1 2128
pid 2128's current affinity list: 0
taskset: failed to set pid 2128's affinity: Invalid argument

# taskset -p -c 1 2129
pid 2129's current affinity list: 1
taskset: failed to set pid 2129's affinity: Invalid argument

As the above shows, WG threads are already bound to a particular CPU and this
can't be changed.

--
With respect,
Roman

* Re: Speed on Raspberry Pi 4
@ 2019-07-18  8:01       ` Janne Johansson
From: Janne Johansson @ 2019-07-18  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den tors 18 juli 2019 kl 08:56 skrev Roman Mamedov <rm@romanrm.net>:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 08:38:54 +0200
> Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > With taskset you should be able to:
> > https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-taskset-command/
>
> It appears "taskset" only works on regular programs, not kernel threads:
>
> # taskset -p -c 1 2128
> pid 2128's current affinity list: 0
> taskset: failed to set pid 2128's affinity: Invalid argument
>
> # taskset -p -c 1 2129
> pid 2129's current affinity list: 1
> taskset: failed to set pid 2129's affinity: Invalid argument
>
> As the above shows, WG threads are already bound to a particular CPU and
> this
> can't be changed.

Right, my bad.

* Re: Speed on Raspberry Pi 4