WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* compilation error on centos 7 kernels
@ 2018-07-30  3:26 Yousong Zhou
  2018-07-30  3:27 ` Yousong Zhou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Yousong Zhou @ 2018-07-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WireGuard mailing list

Yesterday I tried compiling openvswitch-dkms on 2 centos 7 systems,
both failed out of box because of the compat conditional compilation
code

Both system has LINUX_VERSION_CODE 199168, i.e. 3.10.0.  The 1st runs
kernel 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64, and the second runs
3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.x86_64.  They both lacks skb_reset_tc,
our_pskb_put(), genl_family_attrbuf(), skb_put_data().  And the
3.10.0-514 kernel also lacks ipv6_mod_enabled() so I had to prepare
different dkms patches for them ;( . The bright side is that currently
both systems work fine ;)

It's partially caused by commit 401453 ("compat: handle RHEL 7.5's
recent backports"), but I think the code will be very hard to read and
maintain if we continue to use the current macro detection logic.  I
remembered openvswitch linux kernel datapath module was already in
such an state.  Maybe compile test will do better.

                yousong

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: compilation error on centos 7 kernels
  2018-07-30  3:26 compilation error on centos 7 kernels Yousong Zhou
@ 2018-07-30  3:27 ` Yousong Zhou
  2018-07-30  3:29   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Yousong Zhou @ 2018-07-30  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WireGuard mailing list

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 11:26, Yousong Zhou <yszhou4tech@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yesterday I tried compiling openvswitch-dkms on 2 centos 7 systems,
> both failed out of box because of the compat conditional compilation
> code
>

Forgot to mention that the openvswitch-dkms version in use is 0.0.20180718

                yousong

> Both system has LINUX_VERSION_CODE 199168, i.e. 3.10.0.  The 1st runs
> kernel 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64, and the second runs
> 3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.x86_64.  They both lacks skb_reset_tc,
> our_pskb_put(), genl_family_attrbuf(), skb_put_data().  And the
> 3.10.0-514 kernel also lacks ipv6_mod_enabled() so I had to prepare
> different dkms patches for them ;( . The bright side is that currently
> both systems work fine ;)
>
> It's partially caused by commit 401453 ("compat: handle RHEL 7.5's
> recent backports"), but I think the code will be very hard to read and
> maintain if we continue to use the current macro detection logic.  I
> remembered openvswitch linux kernel datapath module was already in
> such an state.  Maybe compile test will do better.
>
>                 yousong

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: compilation error on centos 7 kernels
  2018-07-30  3:27 ` Yousong Zhou
@ 2018-07-30  3:29   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
  2018-07-30  3:34     ` Yousong Zhou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-07-30  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yousong Zhou; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list

Update to the latest available centos kernel in the latest available
centos release, and then after install WireGuard. If you're facing
problems then, email a compilation log.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: compilation error on centos 7 kernels
  2018-07-30  3:29   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
@ 2018-07-30  3:34     ` Yousong Zhou
  2018-07-30  7:42       ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Yousong Zhou @ 2018-07-30  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 11:29, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
>
> Update to the latest available centos kernel in the latest available
> centos release, and then after install WireGuard. If you're facing
> problems then, email a compilation log.

Well, better add a note in the installation page about the
update-to-date kernel version expectation.  The other thing is that
it's not always that feasible to switch kernel version in enterprise
managed environment

                yousong

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: compilation error on centos 7 kernels
  2018-07-30  3:34     ` Yousong Zhou
@ 2018-07-30  7:42       ` Greg KH
  2018-07-30  8:27         ` Yousong Zhou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2018-07-30  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yousong Zhou; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:34:31AM +0800, Yousong Zhou wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 11:29, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
> >
> > Update to the latest available centos kernel in the latest available
> > centos release, and then after install WireGuard. If you're facing
> > problems then, email a compilation log.
> 
> Well, better add a note in the installation page about the
> update-to-date kernel version expectation.  The other thing is that
> it's not always that feasible to switch kernel version in enterprise
> managed environment

But it is allowed to add random kernel modules to such an enviroment?
You can't have it both ways, someone needs to work to fix such a
horrible management policy that it sounds like you have.  Good luck!

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: compilation error on centos 7 kernels
  2018-07-30  7:42       ` Greg KH
@ 2018-07-30  8:27         ` Yousong Zhou
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Yousong Zhou @ 2018-07-30  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh; +Cc: WireGuard mailing list

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 15:42, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:34:31AM +0800, Yousong Zhou wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 11:29, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Update to the latest available centos kernel in the latest available
> > > centos release, and then after install WireGuard. If you're facing
> > > problems then, email a compilation log.
> >
> > Well, better add a note in the installation page about the
> > update-to-date kernel version expectation.  The other thing is that
> > it's not always that feasible to switch kernel version in enterprise
> > managed environment
>
> But it is allowed to add random kernel modules to such an enviroment?
> You can't have it both ways, someone needs to work to fix such a
> horrible management policy that it sounds like you have.  Good luck!
>
> greg k-h

It's not okay to have random modules in any environment.  Sorry for
the noise if it's already widely known that wireguard kernel module
support for rhel/centos *expects* recent kernel revisions of these
distro.

                yousong

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2018-07-30  3:26 compilation error on centos 7 kernels Yousong Zhou
2018-07-30  3:27 ` Yousong Zhou
2018-07-30  3:29   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
2018-07-30  3:34     ` Yousong Zhou
2018-07-30  7:42       ` Greg KH
2018-07-30  8:27         ` Yousong Zhou

WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/wireguard/0 wireguard/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 wireguard wireguard/ https://lore.kernel.org/wireguard \
		wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com zx2c4-wireguard@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index wireguard


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/com.zx2c4.lists.wireguard


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox