From: Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chmd@chmd.fr>
To: wireguard <wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com>
Subject: [Android] Wireguard on the Amazon FireTV stick
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:26:06 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi there,

I tried to run Wireguard on the FireTV stick. The only other relevant
reference I found for doing this was on reddit [1], where people
recommended to use TunSafe. TunSafe is unfortunately still closed-souce
(AFAIK), and the wireguard developers have already expressed negative
opinions against it [2], so I would rather use the official app instead. I
am reporting here so that people interested in doing the same thing find
this thread and know what has been attempted.

Here is what worked do so far:
- Install the app
- Load a configuration for an interface

Here is what I still cannot do:
- Start the interface
- Automatically start it at boot

How to reproduce:
- Install the app:
  - On the FireTV:
    - activate the relevant developer options on the FireTV stick (adb and
external sources)
  - On a workstation:
    - visit F-Droid [3] and download the apk
    adb start-server
    adb connect <ip-address-of-firetv>
    adb install com.wireguard.android_445.apk
- Load a configuration:
  - On a workstation:
    adb push wg0.conf /sdcard
  - On the FireTV:
    - navigated the menu to create a configuration from file, selected the
file I pushed

Here is where I am stuck:
The FireTV stick can only be navigated with their remote control, which has
a very basic keypad allowing to move from button to button with <up>,
do not manage to navigate to the button to enable it.

And here are questions to the Wireguard Android devs:
- Could you let me know which Intent is sent when one enables the
interface? I would like to try to enable the interface from adb.
- In case Wireguard turns out to run on the FireTV, would you consider
adding code to make the UI navigable?

Cheers,
Christophe-Marie

[1]: