* [Android app] Can't connect to a chromecast when wireguard is running
@ 2018-12-28 10:27 Christophe-Marie Duquesne
From: Christophe-Marie Duquesne @ 2018-12-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi!

I have been using the android app for a while now (non rooted phone,
android 8.0, I installed the app from the play store). It works very well.

I am here to report a little problem: I find myself unable to use a
chromecast while wireguard is running. I tried to exclude Spotify and
Google home from the applications tunneled by wireguard, but that doesn't
work.

The application which notifies me about the chromecast status is "Google
play services". However, this particular app is not part of the list of
applications I can exclude from being tunneled by wireguard.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? How did you solve it?

Best,
Christophe-Marie

* Re: [Android app] Can't connect to a chromecast when wireguard is running
@ 2018-12-30 19:10 ` Christophe-Marie Duquesne
From: Christophe-Marie Duquesne @ 2018-12-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi again,

Thinking about my former setup with Openvpn, I realized it had a setting
"bypass VPN for local networks" (under "routing"). Is there such a thing in
the Wireguard app? (In the peer config, there is a checkbox "Exclude
private IPs". In doubt, I tried to enable it, but then the wireguard
interface stopped working with the message "Error bringing up tunnel: Bad
address")

Generally, the app which I believe would solve my chromecast problem is
probably "Google play services" (com.google.android.gms). It is
unfortunately not part of the list of applications one can exclude from the
UI. Is there a way to do one of these two things?
- Implement a feature similar to "bypass VPN for local networks"
- Make it possible to exclude an application by string input (directly
typing "com.google.android.gms" in some text area)

Thanks,

@ 2018-12-30 20:09   ` Samuel Holland
From: Samuel Holland @ 2018-12-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe-Marie Duquesne, wireguard

Hi,

On 12/30/18 13:10, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
> Thinking about my former setup with Openvpn, I realized it had a setting
> "bypass VPN for local networks" (under "routing"). Is there such a thing in
> the Wireguard app? (In the peer config, there is a checkbox "Exclude private
> IPs". In doubt, I tried to enable it, but then the wireguard interface
> stopped working with the message "Error bringing up tunnel: Bad address")
>
> Generally, the app which I believe would solve my chromecast problem is
> probably "Google play services" (com.google.android.gms). It is
> unfortunately not part of the list of applications one can exclude from the
> UI. Is there a way to do one of these two things? - Implement a feature
> similar to "bypass VPN for local networks"

That's the idea with the "Exclude private IPs" checkbox. Anything in the
RFC1918 range will not use the tunnel. Could you export a log (there's an option
in the app settings) with it failing, and send it to me (privately if you want)?

> - Make it possible to exclude an application by string input (directly typing
> "com.google.android.gms" in some text area)

You can do that today by exporting the configuration, adding a line to the
[Interface] section, and re-importing:

    ExcludedApplications=com.google.android.gms

The UI currently shows all apps that have a launcher icon. Maybe we need to
change that filter? Can you check if there's a "Google Settings" or similar
entry in the list? I believe that's the name of the launcher entry point for
Google Play Services.

> Thanks, Christophe-Marie

Regards,
Samuel

* Re: [Android app] Can't connect to a chromecast when wireguard is running
@ 2019-01-03  2:48     ` Samuel Holland
From: Samuel Holland @ 2019-01-03  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe-Marie Duquesne, wireguard

On 12/30/18 14:09, Samuel Holland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/30/18 13:10, Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
>> Thinking about my former setup with Openvpn, I realized it had a setting
>> "bypass VPN for local networks" (under "routing"). Is there such a thing
>> in the Wireguard app? (In the peer config, there is a checkbox "Exclude
>> private IPs". In doubt, I tried to enable it, but then the wireguard
>> interface stopped working with the message "Error bringing up tunnel: Bad
>> address")
>>
>> Generally, the app which I believe would solve my chromecast problem is
>> probably "Google play services" (com.google.android.gms). It is
>> unfortunately not part of the list of applications one can exclude from the
>> UI. Is there a way to do one of these two things? - Implement a feature
>> similar to "bypass VPN for local networks"
>
> That's the idea with the "Exclude private IPs" checkbox. Anything in the
> RFC1918 range will not use the tunnel. Could you export a log (there's an
> option in the app settings) with it failing, and send it to me (privately if
> you want)?

The issue that was breaking the "Exclude private IPs" checkbox has been fixed
and will be part of the next release. Thanks for the report. (For the curious:
an IPv6 DNS server was getting added to the Allowed IPs list with an incorrect
netmask, and Android rejects VPN routes to subnets with a non-zero host part.)

Thanks,
Samuel