* binary module for arch?
@ 2018-12-31  0:58 Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-12-31  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Christian,

I noticed there are now two distro-built packages for wireguard for
arch -- wireguard-lts and wireguard-arch. These seem probably more
convenient for most people than the dkms one. What would you recommend
in terms of updating wireguard.com/install/ ? And do you plan on
depreciating the dkms one at some point, or do you think it will
remain useful for certain users?

Regards,
Jason

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2018-12-31  1:48 ` Davide Depau
From: Davide Depau @ 2018-12-31  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason,
sorry for sneaking into the conversation but I'm currently using
wireguard-dkms. I think deprecating it would be a bad idea: anyone who uses
a custom kernel cannot use the binary modules.
I'm currently using linux-hardened on my server (yeah, I run Arch Linux on
my personal server lol) and rely on the dkms package for the wireguard
module.
Binary packages should probably be preferred for those who use the default
kernels, however not everyone does.
That being said I really hope WireGuard makes it to mainline soon ;)

Regards,
Davide

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Hey Christian,
>
> I noticed there are now two distro-built packages for wireguard for
> arch -- wireguard-lts and wireguard-arch. These seem probably more
> convenient for most people than the dkms one. What would you recommend
> in terms of updating wireguard.com/install/ ? And do you plan on
> depreciating the dkms one at some point, or do you think it will
> remain useful for certain users?
>
> Regards,
> Jason

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2018-12-31 16:11   ` John
From: John @ 2018-12-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Our package manager, pacman, will display optional dependencies to
users/most known to inspect the output.

My recommendation is to change the wording under the command on your
install page to something like: "Users of the distro provided kernels
(linux and linux-lts) may download the requisite corresponding
precompiled wireguard module. Users of custom kernels will require the
wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to compile the
module."

For your info, example pacman output that most Arch users will be
accustom to reading upon installation of the wireguard-tools package:

% sudo pacman -S wireguard-tools
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) wireguard-tools-0.0.20181218-2

Total Installed Size:  0.21 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring
[#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity
[#############################] 100%
[#############################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts
[#############################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing wireguard-tools
[#############################] 100%
Optional dependencies for wireguard-tools
    openresolv: for DNS functionality [installed]
    wireguard-dkms: wireguard module, built by dkms
    wireguard-arch: wireguard module for linux
    wireguard-lts: wireguard module for linux-lts
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 8:50 PM Davide Depau <davide@depau.eu> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> sorry for sneaking into the conversation but I'm currently using wireguard-dkms. I think deprecating it would be a bad idea: anyone who uses a custom kernel cannot use the binary modules.
> I'm currently using linux-hardened on my server (yeah, I run Arch Linux on my personal server lol) and rely on the dkms package for the wireguard module.
> Binary packages should probably be preferred for those who use the default kernels, however not everyone does.
> That being said I really hope WireGuard makes it to mainline soon ;)
>
> Regards,
> Davide
>
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Christian,
>>
>> I noticed there are now two distro-built packages for wireguard for
>> arch -- wireguard-lts and wireguard-arch. These seem probably more
>> convenient for most people than the dkms one. What would you recommend
>> in terms of updating wireguard.com/install/ ? And do you plan on
>> depreciating the dkms one at some point, or do you think it will
>> remain useful for certain users?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2019-01-01 12:44     ` Jordan Glover
From: Jordan Glover @ 2019-01-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 31, 2018 5:11 PM, John <graysky@archlinux.us> wrote:

> My recommendation is to change the wording under the command on your
> install page to something like: "Users of the distro provided kernels
> (linux and linux-lts) may download the requisite corresponding
> precompiled wireguard module. Users of custom kernels will require the
> wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to compile the
> module."

This isn't strictly true as there are distro provided kernels
(linux-hardened and linux-zen) which don't have wireguard binary modules
available. Below would be more appropriate:

"Users of linux and linux-lts kernels may download the requisite
corresponding precompiled wireguard module. Users of other kernels will
require the wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to
compile the module."

Jordan

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2019-01-01 20:50 ` Christian Hesse
From: Christian Hesse @ 2019-01-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com> on Mon, 2018/12/31 01:58:
> Hey Christian,
>
> I noticed there are now two distro-built packages for wireguard for
> arch -- wireguard-lts and wireguard-arch. These seem probably more
> convenient for most people than the dkms one. What would you recommend
> in terms of updating wireguard.com/install/ ? And do you plan on
> depreciating the dkms one at some point, or do you think it will
> remain useful for certain users?

Hey Jason,

some people gave their legit reasons to keep wireguard-dkms. I have to add
another one: It is a build-dependency for the binary modules packages. So it
will stay definitely. ;)
--
Best regards,
Chris

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2019-01-01 20:54       ` Christian Hesse
From: Christian Hesse @ 2019-01-01 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jordan Glover <Golden_Miller83@protonmail.ch> on Tue, 2019/01/01 12:44:
> On Monday, December 31, 2018 5:11 PM, John <graysky@archlinux.us> wrote:
>
> > My recommendation is to change the wording under the command on your
> > install page to something like: "Users of the distro provided kernels
> > (linux and linux-lts) may download the requisite corresponding
> > precompiled wireguard module. Users of custom kernels will require the
> > wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to compile the
> > module."
> >

> This isn't strictly true as there are distro provided kernels
> (linux-hardened and linux-zen) which don't have wireguard binary modules
> available. Below would be more appropriate:
>
> "Users of linux and linux-lts kernels may download the requisite
> corresponding precompiled wireguard module. Users of other kernels will
> require the wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to
> compile the module."

I would propose another change in wording as you do not download modules but
packages:

"Users of linux and linux-lts kernels may download the requisite
corresponding precompiled wireguard module package. Users of other kernels
will require the wireguard-dkms package and corresponding kernel headers to
compile the module."

Installing wireguard-tools package with pacman gives info about optional
dependencies, so the name of the required packages should be obvious.
--
Schoene Gruesse
Chris

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2019-01-02  0:22   ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2019-01-02  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 9:50 PM Christian Hesse <mail@eworm.de> wrote:

> "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com> on Mon, 2018/12/31 01:58:
> > Hey Christian,
> >
> > I noticed there are now two distro-built packages for wireguard for
> > arch -- wireguard-lts and wireguard-arch. These seem probably more
> > convenient for most people than the dkms one. What would you recommend
> > in terms of updating wireguard.com/install/ ? And do you plan on
> > depreciating the dkms one at some point, or do you think it will
> > remain useful for certain users?
> some people gave their legit reasons to keep wireguard-dkms. I have to add
> another one: It is a build-dependency for the binary modules packages. So it
> will stay definitely. ;)

Makes sense. I was mostly wondering about that first question though:
what would you recommend I put on wireguard.com/install/ for Arch
users?

* Re: binary module for arch?
@ 2019-01-02  7:57     ` Christian Hesse
From: Christian Hesse @ 2019-01-02  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)