* Running PTP (Precision Time Protocol) over Wireguard
@ 2021-12-14 17:15 Antonio Teixeira
From: Antonio Teixeira @ 2021-12-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hey,

Has anyone ever got PTP (precision time protocol) working with
hardware timestamping over a wireguard VPN?

I need to start linuxptp (http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/) listening
on a Wireguard virtual network interface, however, it seems that
linuxptp relies on the SO_TIMESTAMPING kernel socket option and the
wireguard virtual interface doesn't support that. Moreover, I need
this working with hardware timestamping, and right now I can't even
get it working with software timestamping.

Would it even be possible to get this working? Anyone got any tips?
Can I somehow make the Wireguard virtual interface mirror the physical
NIC's capabilities?

* Re: Running PTP (Precision Time Protocol) over Wireguard
@ 2021-12-20 17:00 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2021-12-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've never used these APIs and I wasn't aware it was something that
needed explicit support inside of virtual drivers. What happens when
you try to use it? Are the timestamps bogus or does it return an
error? If the former, in what way are they bogus? If the latter,
what's the error?

Jason