* [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
@ 2020-03-30  2:16 Jason A. Donenfeld
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-03-30  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default. And
for those of you who were scared away prior by the "dOnT uSe tHiS
k0de!!1!" warnings everywhere, you now have something more stable to
work with.

The last several weeks of 5.6 development and stabilization have been
exciting, with our codebase undergoing a quick security audit [3], and
some real headway in terms of getting into distributions.

We'll also continue to maintain our wireguard-linux-compat [2]
backports repo for older kernels. On the backports front, WireGuard
was backported to Ubuntu 20.04 (via wireguard-linux-compat) [4] and
Debian Buster (via a real backport to 5.5.y) [5]. I'm also maintaining
real backports, not via the compat layer, to 5.4.y [6] and 5.5.y [7],
and we'll see where those wind up; 5.4.y is an LTS release.

Meanwhile, the usual up-to-date distributions like Arch, Gentoo, and
Fedora 32 will be getting WireGuard automatically by virtue of having
5.6, and I expect these to increase in number over time.

Enjoy!
Jason

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wi9ZT7Stg-uSpX0UWQzam6OP9Jzz6Xu1CkYu1cicpD5OA@mail.gmail.com/
[2] https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux-compat/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20200319003047.113501-1-Jason@zx2c4.com/
[4] https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/focal/tree/debian/dkms-versions?h=master-next
[5] https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/tree/master/debian%2Fpatches%2Ffeatures%2Fall%2Fwireguard
[6] https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux/log/?h=backport-5.4.y
[7] https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux/log/?h=backport-5.5.y

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
@ 2020-03-30  2:20 ` Eric Light
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Light @ 2020-03-30  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Oh, Jason, that is outstanding news!  Congratulations to you and the whole team of people who have contributed - be it developing, blog posts, or financially.

Well done, you lot!

A: http://five.sentenc.es

@ 2020-03-30  5:13 ` Muenz, Michael
From: Muenz, Michael @ 2020-03-30  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Am 30.03.2020 um 04:16 schrieb Jason A. Donenfeld:
> Hi folks,
>
> Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
> first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
> kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default. And
> for those of you who were scared away prior by the "dOnT uSe tHiS
> k0de!!1!" warnings everywhere, you now have something more stable to
> work with.
>
> The last several weeks of 5.6 development and stabilization have been
> exciting, with our codebase undergoing a quick security audit [3], and
> some real headway in terms of getting into distributions.
>
> We'll also continue to maintain our wireguard-linux-compat [2]
> backports repo for older kernels. On the backports front, WireGuard
> was backported to Ubuntu 20.04 (via wireguard-linux-compat) [4] and
> Debian Buster (via a real backport to 5.5.y) [5]. I'm also maintaining
> real backports, not via the compat layer, to 5.4.y [6] and 5.5.y [7],
> and we'll see where those wind up; 5.4.y is an LTS release.
>
> Meanwhile, the usual up-to-date distributions like Arch, Gentoo, and
> Fedora 32 will be getting WireGuard automatically by virtue of having
> 5.6, and I expect these to increase in number over time.
>
> Enjoy!
> Jason

Hi Jason,

Congrats to this awesom release! I never thought it would walk in that fast.

This will enormously speed up the spread of WireGuard and I'm hoping
that nobody forgets to keep the code generic so all features will be
available on every operating system, like FreeBSD (I maintain the plugin
for OPNsense Firewall). Bit afraid with this hype it will be like FRR
where most fancy features are linux-only and we (BSD users) can only use
the basics.

Thanks and keep on rocking! :)

Michael

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
@ 2020-03-30 12:24 ` Fredrik Strömberg
From: Fredrik Strömberg @ 2020-03-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:33 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@zx2c4.com> wrote:
> Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
> first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
> kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default.

Yippee!

Congratulations Jason, and to everyone else who has contributed to the
development of WireGuard.

Cheers,
Fredrik Stromberg

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-30 13:17 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-03-30 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 08:16:43PM -0600, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
> first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
> kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default. And
> for those of you who were scared away prior by the "dOnT uSe tHiS
> k0de!!1!" warnings everywhere, you now have something more stable to
> work with.
>
> The last several weeks of 5.6 development and stabilization have been
> exciting, with our codebase undergoing a quick security audit [3], and
> some real headway in terms of getting into distributions.

Congrats on all of this, and thanks for sticking with it.

greg k-h