WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* wg troubles on ubuntu 14.04, MacOS and iOS
@ 2018-12-06  0:20 Graham Agnew
From: Graham Agnew @ 2018-12-06  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

I installed Wireguard on Ubuntu 14.04 using the PPA on Launchpad and the wireguard-tools on my Mac.  I can get it to work with a very simple setup and using wg-quick or “wg setconf”.  It’s really great how simple it is.

I don’t have as much luck with the command line “wg set”; it doesn’t like parameters like allowed-ips and such.  Is this a known issue?  Analysing wg-quick, it looks like it pipes the configuration into the "wg setconf” command.

I’m also having problems when I have two peers.  I have "AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0" for both in the .conf file, but this is only applied to the second peer.  The first peer has “(none)” shown as its AllowedIPs with obvious consequences.  Is this also a known issue?  I was trying to add my iPhone as a second peer using the TestFlight app.  I couldn’t get this to work, even when I tried to make a second interface on the Ubuntu server as a workaround.  Is there a way to diagnose the issue?

I’m also unsure how the AllowedIPs setting is meant to work.  Initially I thought it was a list of addresses the peer was allowed to connect to, but the documentation seems to suggest it’s a list that the peer can connect from.  Or is it a range of source IPs that the receiver will accept packets from?  Using 0.0.0.0/0 seems to mess up my network configuration, routing tables etc and I wonder if it’s some “smarts” in wg-quick I haven’t understood.

Apologies if these are noob questions that stem from a lack of knowledge.  I feel I need to get deeper into iptables etc to fully understand this.

Cheers,
Gra

* Re: wg troubles on ubuntu 14.04, MacOS and iOS
@ 2018-12-08  6:14 ` Graham Agnew
From: Graham Agnew @ 2018-12-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

I figured out my multiple peer problem and can now connect both my Mac and iPhone to the Ubuntu server.  I didn’t read the AllowedIPs field description properly and I was thinking about it the wrong way.  In my email below, I was making the mistake of putting 0.0.0.0/0 in the AllowedIPs _on the the server_ which is clearly wrong.  I also had a look through the wg-quick code and now understand more of what it’s doing.

I’m still figuring out how to tunnel all traffic through the server.  If I have the Mac or iPhone with AllowedIPs=0.0.0.0/0 it makes sense to me now, but I can’t connect through to anywhere beyond the Ubuntu server.  I suspect it’s DNS setup stuff…

Cheers,
Gra