* Peer names in configuration file possible?
@ 2019-01-22 11:50 ` Der PCFreak
From: Der PCFreak @ 2019-01-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

this is my first post to this list, so hopefully I don't get anything
wrong. Excuse me if so.

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but I am asking myself how
should I keep track of let's say 1000 Peers in the configuration file of
a WireGuard server when the config file just shows me the public key of
the peers to identify them?

Would it be possible to add something like 'identifier' which might or
might not be unique:

Sample '/etc/wireguard/wg0-server.conf'

[Interface]

[Peer]
identifier=computer01

[Peer]
identifier=computer02

For example the command 'wg show wg0-server dump' could then maybe show
the 'identifier' as column to make things easier?

I am thinking of possibly replacing/migrating a large OpenVPN server
instance to WireGuard and I am currently thinking about the management of
the peers which on OpenVPN I do do with username/password + OTP. Just
the public key in the config is not enough in my opinion, a descriptive
field should be possible.

Also I assume when 'SaveConfig = true' is set in the servers
configuration file any saves to the file currently remove manually added
comments so doing it with comments is not a good option.

Regards

Peter aka PCFreak

* Request for review: Add a short name attribute to peers for human friendly output
@ 2019-01-29 21:59 Jaseem Abid
From: Jaseem Abid @ 2019-01-29 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello lovely WireGuard people,

I wrote a tiny patch to add a name attribute to peers because identifying
clients on my VPN just got very hard. Also hacking on wg source was a lot of
fun. I asked @zx2c4 about this a while ago and he was open to the idea.

It's not _really_ ready for a submission yet because of a few rough edges
but
I'd love to get some eyes on this if anyone is kind! I've never written any
kernel code before and my C is a bit rusty, so please feel free to be picky
about the review. I've added '*NOTE:*'s for the reviewer where I'm not sure
of
the approach.

A few other questions,

1. There are barely any inline code comments, is that intentional or
something
that the community would love to improve? I don't mean the really obvious
ones
but things that are tricky.

2. Is there any interest in a getting started guide for developers wanting
work on wireguard itself? Something like the usual CONTRIBUTING.md? I had
to dig
through a lot of netlink tutorials and old kernel newbie guides to make any
progress. It would be helpful to have it in one small doc.

The patch stays in the `name` branch here[1] and this commit does most of
the
work[2].

[1]: https://github.com/jaseemabid/WireGuard/tree/name
[2]: https://github.com/jaseemabid/WireGuard/commit/544e59b4

Jaseem Abid
https://twitter.com/jaseemabid

* Re: Peer names in configuration file possible?
@ 2019-02-21 21:11   ` Ivan Labáth
From: Ivan Labáth @ 2019-02-21 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Der PCFreak, Jaseem Abid; +Cc: wireguard

Hi all,

I would like to propose an idea, that if peer were keyed by an
identifier (e.g. string) insted of pubkey. E.g. from

[Peer PubKeyWithBunchOfCharacters]
  Identifier = Gorge

[Peer AnotherPubkeyWithBuchOfCharacters]
  Identifier = Jane

..

we changed it to

[Peer George]
  Pubkey = BuchOfBase64

[Peer Jane]
  Pubkey = AnotherBuchOfBase64

It might not only
  * save people from doing reverse ip what was this peer guessing
    and/or lookup (e.g. in wg show)
  * discourage remembering pubkeys, while encouraging key rotation
  * perhaps make peers naturally sorted in a consistent manner
    (after changing keys)

but also:
  * enable lossless key turnover
    pubkey changes, session keys tied to peer -> no connection drop
    I think it should work fine, if privkey changed first, then
    pubkey on peer, with handshake complete before old keys
    become stale?

What do you think?

Regards,
Ivan