WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* Android key-icon in statusbar
@ 2018-11-17 16:01 Robert Walli
From: Robert Walli @ 2018-11-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hello!

I’v installed wireguard-app from play store on android 8.1.
If using the userspace version i get a "key-icon" in the status-bar when a tunnel is active.
Switching to the kernel version the icon is not working any more.

Any sugestions?

Robert

* Re: Android key-icon in statusbar
@ 2018-11-19 20:04 ` nicolas
From: nicolas @ 2018-11-19 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Walli, wireguard

Hello,

> I’v installed wireguard-app from play store on android 8.1.
> If using the userspace version i get a "key-icon" in the status-bar when a tunnel is active.
> Switching to the kernel version the icon is not working any more.

the userspace version uses the native Android VPN-API, which always shows the key icon for security reasons.

The kernel version doesn't use this API because, well, it uses the kernel module. That's why the key icon isn't shown.

Greetings
Nicolas

* Re: Android key-icon in statusbar
@ 2018-11-19 23:00   ` Robert Walli
From: Robert Walli @ 2018-11-19 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

> On 19.11.2018, at 21:04, nicolas@eisfunke.com wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>> I’v installed wireguard-app from play store on android 8.1.
>> If using the userspace version i get a "key-icon" in the status-bar when a tunnel is active.
>> Switching to the kernel version the icon is not working any more.
>
> the userspace version uses the native Android VPN-API, which always shows the key icon for security reasons.
>
> The kernel version doesn't use this API because, well, it uses the kernel module. That's why the key icon isn't shown.

Sorry, i’m a new to this and did not know it.

I have another problem while testing:
My ROM has no wireguard-support so I had to compile myself.
Dirty flashing back to original (AICP) ROM caused stock on the lockscreen.

Is there any option to force android to use the userspace-version to test both version without erasing the whole flash?
What files should i remove in order to avoid the lockscreen issue?

Thank you in advance,

@ 2018-11-20  8:01 ` Matthias Urlichs
From: Matthias Urlichs @ 2018-11-20  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 17.11.18 17:01, Robert Walli wrote:
> I’v installed wireguard-app from play store on android 8.1.
> If using the userspace version i get a "key-icon" in the status-bar when a tunnel is active.
> Switching to the kernel version the icon is not working any more.

The key in the status bar is displayed by Android whenever a VPN-ish
program redirects packets to userspace.

With in-kernel routing there is no such thing, so the key should be
replicated by the controlling app.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs