* wg-quick invoking resolvectl instead of resolvconf on systems where that is appropriate?
@ 2019-09-10 18:50 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2019-09-10 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wireguard folks--

over in https://bugs.debian.org/939904, Michael Biebl (in cc) pointed
out that on GNU/Linux systems supervised by systemd, if systemd-resolved
is running, it might make more sense for wg-quick to invoke resolvectl
directly with the DNS parameter instead of depending on resolvectl's
resolvconf-like symlink shim.

Jason, is that something that you'd be ok with, or is wg-quick wedded to
resolvconf, even if resolvectl is available and there is no resolvconf?
(and if you're ok with it, but if both exist, do you have a preference
for which one should be used?)

Is anyone interested in hacking on src/tools/wg-quick/linux.bash to
enable this?  I think the command should be pretty simple -- the main
things to get right are detection of subsystem availability and conflict
resolution.

I guess my preference would be something like:

 * if resolvectl exists, try to use it.  if it succeeds, done.  (it
   might fail if systemd-resolved is not running, for example)

 * otherwise, try using resolvconf.

but of course this is Jason's call to make.

       --dkg

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: wg-quick invoking resolvectl instead of resolvconf on systems where that is appropriate?
@ 2019-09-10 18:52 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2019-09-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor

The standard interface for modifying DNS on Linux is resolvconf. It is for
this reason that systemd added the compatibility layer. Debian should
install the proper symlink. WireGuard upstream will support the standard
mechanism of resolvconf.

* Re: wg-quick invoking resolvectl instead of resolvconf on systems where that is appropriate?
@ 2019-09-10 21:12   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2019-09-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld

On Tue 2019-09-10 14:52:32 -0400, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> The standard interface for modifying DNS on Linux is resolvconf. It is for
> this reason that systemd added the compatibility layer. Debian should
> install the proper symlink. WireGuard upstream will support the standard
> mechanism of resolvconf.

OK, that answers that :)

I suspect there are more GNU/Linux systems in the world right now that
have resolvectl installed than have all versions of resolvconf installed
put together, but if you'd rather that wg-quick depends on the
interpretation of the resolvconf interface on the given system, that
works for me.

I'm sure you understand that debian can't ship the resolvconf symlink
directly in the systemd package because it would conflict with the
resolvconf and openresolv packages; but i'll follow up over in
https://bugs.debian.org/939904 to see if we can figure out a way to ship
a separate binary package from the same source that automatically
enables this support.

thanks for the prompt followup,

@ 2019-09-10 21:22   ` Michael Biebl
From: Michael Biebl @ 2019-09-10 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason A. Donenfeld, Daniel Kahn Gillmor

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1007 bytes --]

Hi

Am 10.09.19 um 20:52 schrieb Jason A. Donenfeld:
> The standard interface for modifying DNS on Linux is resolvconf. It is
> for this reason that systemd added the compatibility layer.

I don't think this statemement is true.
resolvconf is by no means a Linux standard interface, e.g. Debian never
has shipped with resolvconf installed by default.

It's an optional interface (where different implementations exist).

I think the only distro that ever installed resolvconf by default is
Ubuntu (and I'm not sure they still do on all flavors nowadays).

Which distros nowadays do install resolvconf by default?

> Debian
>> should install the proper symlink. WireGuard upstream will support the
>> standard mechanism of resolvconf.

We can't do that (at least not in the systemd package) as that would
make other implementations like openresolv uninstallable.

universe are pointed away from Earth?

* Re: wg-quick invoking resolvectl instead of resolvconf on systems where that is appropriate?
@ 2019-09-11 18:40     ` Roy Marples
From: Roy Marples @ 2019-09-11 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I'm not subbed to this list, so please include me directly in any
replies. Disclaimer - I'm upstream for openresolv.

Michael Biebl wrote this here:
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2019-September/004524.html

You absolutely correct in that resolvconf is not a standard Linux
interface - it works just fine on the BSD family as well. Infact it
works on every POSIX environment as it just requires a Bourne Shell.
It ships by default since NetBSD-6, FreeBSD-9, DragonFlyBSD, etc - it's
not optional on these BSD's.

Let us also not forget that resolvectl is either just as optional as
resolvconf on Linux or just not available due to a lack of systemd.
Examples would include Gentoo, Alpine, OpenWRT, Void Linux, Slackware,
Devuan ... I could go on, but you get the idea.

However, I will argue that resolvconf is *the standard* modifying DNS
interface - Debian itself shipped the default DHCP client (dhclient)
with scripts to interface with resolvconf and the VPN and PPP clients as
well. Gentoo does as well, because I added support for it many years
ago. This work all predates systemd, network manager, etc.

So while it might not be installed by default, it is certainly very well
supported and recommended.

I'll also note that just by looking at the man page, resolvctl seems to
be lacking important privacy options in it's resolvconf (or rather)
emulation mode so if you want to push this, better support those options!

Anyway, all this being said I would agree that supporting both systems
*at runtime* is the better approach. openresolv does this with init
systems, including systemd.

Roy

* wg-quick invoking resolvectl instead of resolvconf on systems where that is appropriate?
@ 2019-10-31 23:19 Arjen Runsink
From: Arjen Runsink @ 2019-10-31 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard, roy

https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2019-September/004524.html
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2019-September/004533.html

The resolvconf implementation on distro's using systemd is not a
complete replacement of the original resolvconf.

On my preferred distribution (Solus) it even results in some
strangeness where instead of setting the dns, resolvconf produces the
status and halts the execution of wg-quick.

My solution is to detect the presence of systemd during build and use a
modified version of linux.bash that I call linux-systemd.bash which
uses resolvectl and a changed Makefile to go with it. It is a bit of a
hack, but if interested, I will gladly send the patch.

Regards, Arjen