From: "Muenz, Michael" <m.muenz@spam-fetish.org>
To: wireguard@lists.zx2c4.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 07:13:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 30.03.2020 um 04:16 schrieb Jason A. Donenfeld:
> Hi folks,
>
> Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
> first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
> kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default. And
> for those of you who were scared away prior by the "dOnT uSe tHiS
> k0de!!1!" warnings everywhere, you now have something more stable to
> work with.
>
> The last several weeks of 5.6 development and stabilization have been
> exciting, with our codebase undergoing a quick security audit [3], and
> some real headway in terms of getting into distributions.
>
> We'll also continue to maintain our wireguard-linux-compat [2]
> backports repo for older kernels. On the backports front, WireGuard
> was backported to Ubuntu 20.04 (via wireguard-linux-compat) [4] and
> Debian Buster (via a real backport to 5.5.y) [5]. I'm also maintaining
> real backports, not via the compat layer, to 5.4.y [6] and 5.5.y [7],
> and we'll see where those wind up; 5.4.y is an LTS release.
>
> Meanwhile, the usual up-to-date distributions like Arch, Gentoo, and
> Fedora 32 will be getting WireGuard automatically by virtue of having
> 5.6, and I expect these to increase in number over time.
>
> Enjoy!
> Jason

Hi Jason,

Congrats to this awesom release! I never thought it would walk in that fast.

This will enormously speed up the spread of WireGuard and I'm hoping
that nobody forgets to keep the code generic so all features will be
available on every operating system, like FreeBSD (I maintain the plugin
for OPNsense Firewall). Bit afraid with this hype it will be like FRR
where most fancy features are linux-only and we (BSD users) can only use
the basics.

Thanks and keep on rocking! :)

Michael