workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Notification of your branch being tested by zero day bot?
@ 2019-09-12 15:02 Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2019-09-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

Would it be possible to have an opt-in for the zero day bot to send an
email when a branch is being tested? Similar to the "SUCCESS" opt-in
email.

That is, it would be nice to see an email that lets you know that a
branch you pushed to kernel.org is being tested. Currently there's a
bit of limbo when a push happens, and you need to wait, perhaps several
days, to see a result. In the mean time you have no idea if there's any
progress going on. A notification would be nice.

-- Steve

* Re: Notification of your branch being tested by zero day bot?
@ 2019-09-13  4:49 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-09-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, lkp; +Cc: workflows

(adding lkp@intel.com so that hopefully the right people see this)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02:30AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Would it be possible to have an opt-in for the zero day bot to send an
> email when a branch is being tested? Similar to the "SUCCESS" opt-in
> email.
>
> That is, it would be nice to see an email that lets you know that a
> branch you pushed to kernel.org is being tested. Currently there's a
> bit of limbo when a push happens, and you need to wait, perhaps several
> days, to see a result. In the mean time you have no idea if there's any
> progress going on. A notification would be nice.

What is "implied" here is the fact that due to the flaky-ness of 0-day
these days, we really do not know if it is running or not.

Lately it seems like it is "not" running, but due to the lack of any
status, it's really hard to tell how long a maintainer should wait
before "giving up" on getting a timely response and just relying on
their own judgement.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Notification of your branch being tested by zero day bot?
@ 2019-09-18  7:31   ` Philip Li
From: Philip Li @ 2019-09-18  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 05:49:19AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> (adding lkp@intel.com so that hopefully the right people see this)
hi all, sorry for late notice, just back from china mid-autumn festival.

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02:30AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have an opt-in for the zero day bot to send an
> > email when a branch is being tested? Similar to the "SUCCESS" opt-in
> > email.
do you mean something like BUILD start notification? This is good idea,
we can support this.

> > That is, it would be nice to see an email that lets you know that a
> > branch you pushed to kernel.org is being tested. Currently there's a
> > bit of limbo when a push happens, and you need to wait, perhaps several
> > days, to see a result. In the mean time you have no idea if there's any
> > progress going on. A notification would be nice.
>
> What is "implied" here is the fact that due to the flaky-ness of 0-day
> these days, we really do not know if it is running or not.
sorry that 0day ci had issue in July time frame, but it was recovered
from August to generate report continuously. We will keep monitoring the
healthy status to avoid any inconvenience.

> Lately it seems like it is "not" running, but due to the lack of any
> status, it's really hard to tell how long a maintainer should wait
> before "giving up" on getting a timely response and just relying on
> their own judgement.
Currently, if a repo is opt in for success notification, it will receive
build incomplete if the full build test can't be done within 1 day.
We will consider to enable this for all maintainer's repo.

@ 2019-09-18  7:39     ` Philip Li
From: Philip Li @ 2019-09-18  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 03:31:38PM +0800, Philip Li wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 05:49:19AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > (adding lkp@intel.com so that hopefully the right people see this)
> hi all, sorry for late notice, just back from china mid-autumn festival.
>

> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02:30AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to have an opt-in for the zero day bot to send an
> > > email when a branch is being tested? Similar to the "SUCCESS" opt-in
> > > email.
> do you mean something like BUILD start notification? This is good idea,
> we can support this.
>

> > > That is, it would be nice to see an email that lets you know that a
> > > branch you pushed to kernel.org is being tested. Currently there's a
> > > bit of limbo when a push happens, and you need to wait, perhaps several
> > > days, to see a result. In the mean time you have no idea if there's any
> > > progress going on. A notification would be nice.
> >
> > What is "implied" here is the fact that due to the flaky-ness of 0-day
> > these days, we really do not know if it is running or not.
> sorry that 0day ci had issue in July time frame, but it was recovered
> from August to generate report continuously. We will keep monitoring the
> healthy status to avoid any inconvenience.
Hi Greg, i checked stable-rc tree, it still had build incomplete notification
which means 0day ci had issue for this repo. Internally, we will not merge
stable tree to test in batch mode as others, which may be the cause of the
problem. We will look into this and figure out the solution.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

@ 2019-09-18 13:38     ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2019-09-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Li; +Cc: Greg KH, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 15:31:38 +0800
Philip Li <philip.li@intel.com> wrote:

> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02:30AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to have an opt-in for the zero day bot to send an
> > > email when a branch is being tested? Similar to the "SUCCESS" opt-in
> > > email.
> do you mean something like BUILD start notification? This is good idea,
> we can support this.

That would be great.

> > > That is, it would be nice to see an email that lets you know that a
> > > branch you pushed to kernel.org is being tested. Currently there's a
> > > bit of limbo when a push happens, and you need to wait, perhaps several
> > > days, to see a result. In the mean time you have no idea if there's any
> > > progress going on. A notification would be nice.
> >
> > What is "implied" here is the fact that due to the flaky-ness of 0-day
> > these days, we really do not know if it is running or not.
> sorry that 0day ci had issue in July time frame, but it was recovered
> from August to generate report continuously. We will keep monitoring the
> healthy status to avoid any inconvenience.

Thanks.

> > Lately it seems like it is "not" running, but due to the lack of any
> > status, it's really hard to tell how long a maintainer should wait
> > before "giving up" on getting a timely response and just relying on
> > their own judgement.
> Currently, if a repo is opt in for success notification, it will receive
> build incomplete if the full build test can't be done within 1 day.
> We will consider to enable this for all maintainer's repo.

Hmm, perhaps that should be opt-in as well. Not sure if every build
maintainer would like that notification. But we should definitely try
to find a way to inform those that would like to be notified. Several
developers have mentioned they were unaware of the SUCCESS notification
opt in, and would like to be added to it. Perhaps a one time email to
all maintainers not currently opt-in to the success notification to ask
them if they would like to be opted in, instead of just spamming them
with this information.

@ 2019-09-18 14:46       ` Philip Li
From: Philip Li @ 2019-09-18 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Greg KH, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:38:22AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 15:31:38 +0800
> Philip Li <philip.li@intel.com> wrote:

> > do you mean something like BUILD start notification? This is good idea,
> > we can support this.
>
> That would be great.

> > > What is "implied" here is the fact that due to the flaky-ness of 0-day
> > > these days, we really do not know if it is running or not.
> > sorry that 0day ci had issue in July time frame, but it was recovered
> > from August to generate report continuously. We will keep monitoring the
> > healthy status to avoid any inconvenience.
> >

> Thanks.
>

> > > Lately it seems like it is "not" running, but due to the lack of any
> > > status, it's really hard to tell how long a maintainer should wait
> > > before "giving up" on getting a timely response and just relying on
> > > their own judgement.
> > Currently, if a repo is opt in for success notification, it will receive
> > build incomplete if the full build test can't be done within 1 day.
> > We will consider to enable this for all maintainer's repo.
>
> Hmm, perhaps that should be opt-in as well. Not sure if every build
> maintainer would like that notification. But we should definitely try
> to find a way to inform those that would like to be notified. Several
> developers have mentioned they were unaware of the SUCCESS notification
> opt in, and would like to be added to it. Perhaps a one time email to
> all maintainers not currently opt-in to the success notification to ask
> them if they would like to be opted in, instead of just spamming them
> with this information.
thanks for the suggestion, we will consult maintainers firstly to see
whether any maintainer wants to opt in.

@ 2019-09-18 19:47         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-09-18 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Li; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:46:18PM +0800, Philip Li wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:38:22AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > > do you mean something like BUILD start notification? This is good idea,
> > > we can support this.
> >
> > That would be great.

> > > sorry that 0day ci had issue in July time frame, but it was recovered
> > > from August to generate report continuously. We will keep monitoring the
> > > healthy status to avoid any inconvenience.
> > >

> > Thanks.

> > > Currently, if a repo is opt in for success notification, it will receive
> > > build incomplete if the full build test can't be done within 1 day.
> > > We will consider to enable this for all maintainer's repo.
> >
> > Hmm, perhaps that should be opt-in as well. Not sure if every build
> > maintainer would like that notification. But we should definitely try
> > to find a way to inform those that would like to be notified. Several
> > developers have mentioned they were unaware of the SUCCESS notification
> > opt in, and would like to be added to it. Perhaps a one time email to
> > all maintainers not currently opt-in to the success notification to ask
> > them if they would like to be opted in, instead of just spamming them
> > with this information.
> thanks for the suggestion, we will consult maintainers firstly to see
> whether any maintainer wants to opt in.

I would love to opt-in for this on all of my branches, and the stable
branches/trees you build.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Notification of your branch being tested by zero day bot?
@ 2019-09-19  3:21           ` Philip Li
From: Philip Li @ 2019-09-19  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Steven Rostedt, lkp, workflows, oliver.sang

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:47:37PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:46:18PM +0800, Philip Li wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:38:22AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > > That would be great.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Hmm, perhaps that should be opt-in as well. Not sure if every build
> > > maintainer would like that notification. But we should definitely try
> > > to find a way to inform those that would like to be notified. Several
> > > developers have mentioned they were unaware of the SUCCESS notification
> > > opt in, and would like to be added to it. Perhaps a one time email to
> > > all maintainers not currently opt-in to the success notification to ask
> > > them if they would like to be opted in, instead of just spamming them
> > > with this information.
> > thanks for the suggestion, we will consult maintainers firstly to see
> > whether any maintainer wants to opt in.
>
> I would love to opt-in for this on all of my branches, and the stable
> branches/trees you build.
got it Greg, i had added notifications for 3 more repos for you which
were missed before.