workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Kernel development collaboration platform wish list
@ 2019-09-13  8:22 Rafael J. Wysocki
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2019-09-13  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows
  Cc: Shuah Khan, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Bjorn Helgaas, Jiri Kosina,
	Konstantin Ryabitsev

Hi All,

During the Maintainers Summit session yesterday I started to create a wish list
for the new kernel development collaboration platform to be created (and to
replace the multiple pieces of tooling in use today).  I also asked Bjorn,
Jiri, Greg and Shuah for input and here's the reslut:

1. Compatible with e-mail

  (a) E-mail send to it stored and included automatically; appears as part of
      the normal flow.

  (b) Automatic e-mail responses
      If e-mail is sent to it, the sender will get all responses to it in the
      given thread by e-mail.

2. History tracking

  (a) Should be able to track revisions of a given patch series (or patch) down
      to the initial submission.

3. Integration with git

  (a) Should be able to create git commits from patches (or patch series)
      tracked by it if pointed to a git branch (either locally or remotely).

  (b) Link tags pointing back to it should be added automatically to git
      commits created from patches tracked by it.

4. Distributed

  (a) Support for running offline.

  (b) Support for batch updates.

  (c) CL-frendly.

5. Patchwork-like features

  (a) Delegation support.

  (b) Support for bundles and patch series manipulation.

  (c) Smart mbox (download all selected patches).

6. Easy to set up (especially for local installations)

7. Bug tracking support

I guess there are more items to be added to this list, so please extend it if
you have any ideas and we'll see where this goes. :-)

Cheers,
Rafael