workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung@kernel.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: workflows@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RFC: individual public-inbox/git activity feeds
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:20:33 -0300	[thread overview]

Em Thu, 10 Oct 2019 15:28:52 -0400
Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> escreveu:

> # Using public-inbox with structured data
>
> One of the problems we are trying to solve is how to deliver structured
> data like CI reports, bugs, issues, etc in a decentralized fashion.
> Instead of (or in addition to) sending mail to mailing lists and
> individual developers, bots and bug-tracking tools can provide their own
> feeds with structured data aimed at consumption by client-side and
> server-side tools.
>
> I suggest we use public-inbox feeds with structured data in addition to
> human-readable data, using some universally adopted machine-parseable
> format like JSON. In my mind, I see this working as a separate ref in
> each individual feed, e.g.:
>
> refs/heads/master -- RFC-2822 (email) feed for human consumption
> refs/heads/json -- json feed for machine-readable structured data

That sounds scary. I mean, now, instead of looking on one inbox,
we'll need to look at two ones that may have the same message
(one in RFC-2822 and the other one in JSON). Worse than that,
the contents of the human-readable could be different than the
contents of the JSON one.

IMO, the best is to have just one format (whatever it is) and some
tool that would convert from it into JSON and/or RFC-2822.

Thanks,
Mauro