Hi Willy, Vegard. On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 01:10:09PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote: > Hi Vegard, > > On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:22:54PM +0200, Vegard Nossum wrote: > > (cross-posted to git, LKML, and the kernel workflows mailing lists.) > > > > Hi all, > > > > I've been following Konstantin Ryabitsev's quest for better development > > and communication tools for the kernel [1][2][3], and I would like to > > propose a relatively straightforward idea which I think could bring a > > lot to the table. > > > > Step 1: > > > > * git send-email needs to include parent SHA1s and generally all the > > information needed to perfectly recreate the commit when applied so > > that all the SHA1s remain the same > > > > * git am (or an alternative command) needs to recreate the commit > > perfectly when applied, including applying it to the correct parent > > > > Having these two will allow a perfect mapping between email and git; > > essentially email just becomes a transport for git. There are a lot of > > advantages to this, particularly that you have a stable way to refer to > > a patch or commit (despite it appearing on a mailing list), and there > > is no need for "changeset IDs" or whatever, since you can just use the > > git SHA1 which is unique, unambiguous, and stable. I wonder if it'd be also possible to then embed gpg signatures over send-mail payloads so as they can be transparently transferred to the commit. -Santiago