Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Rob Herring <robh@kernel.org>
Cc: Kevin Hilman <khilman@baylibre.com>, workflows@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: get-lore-mbox: quickly grab full threads from lore
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:10:42 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 11:39:02AM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> It may be easy enough unless you have something like this series:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/cover.1582361737.git.mchehab+huawei@kernel.org/
>
> It backtraces if you give it patch 2 msgid:
>
> 83c5df4acbbe0fa55a1d58d4c4a435b51cd2a7ad.1582361737.git.mchehab+huawei@kernel.org
>
> Presumably because patch 2 and and the cover letter aren't on the same
> list? Arguably, that's bad practice, but it's quite common to only
> have 1 or a few patches of the whole series. If you start with the
> cover letter, then it can find everything.

There is currently no way to reconstitute a single thread from multiple
sources -- this is something that we would like to change in the near
future. If a message is sent to multiple mailing lists, then there is no
guarantee from which list you are going to get the thread, unless you
specify -p projname. E.g.:

./get-lore-mbox.py -o/tmp -a -p linux-doc \
  83c5df4acbbe0fa55a1d58d4c4a435b51cd2a7ad.1582361737.git.mchehab+huawei@kernel.org

However, this will only pick up follow-ups from linux-doc, so if there
are any trailers sent to another list, get-lore-mbox will know nothing
about them:

> Also, it didn't pick up 2 out of 3 Acked/Reviewed-by tags:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/CAHLCerP_UW-6CdaOziHTY01cD_6Ou4h0Jj6mOJKj60P4GL9H=w@mail.gmail.com/
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/41551c09-5443-4980-9c6f-6bc7f48aa356@www.fastmail.com/

Changing this behaviour requires significant rewrites of the backend in
order to be able to mux results from different sources. This is work
that is planned and will be happening.

For the moment, I don't have any good solutions other than fixing the
backtrace (which is now fixed).

-K