workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
@ 2019-10-24 20:58 Konstantin Ryabitsev
       [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-10-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

Hi, everyone:

So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have
expressed interest in attending:

- Steven Rostedt
- Greg Kroah-Hartman
- Dmitry Vyukov
- Konstantin Ryabitsev
- Christian Brauner
- Laurent Pinchart
- Jon Corbet
- Daniel Vetter
- Nicolas Belouin
- Shuah Khan

(If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please
follow up.)

I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will
contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think
we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on
a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it
before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location
on Monday.

Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of
topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future,
discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will
require changing half the known world.

I can discuss any of the following topics at length:

1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features
   they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both
   developers and maintainers:
    - public-inbox
    - patchwork
    - bugzilla
    - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot

2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
    - cryptographic attestation of patches
    - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches/series
    - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted
      patch series and send it to the right places")

3. CI and bot integration
    - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
    - communicating structured data over email
    - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox
      repositories?)
    - avoiding bug duplication
    - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that
      nobody has taken on

4. Maintainer tooling
    - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
      - GitHub/GitLab
      - SourceHut
      - Gerrit

    - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
      - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing
        lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
      - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
      - show interdiffs
      - send automated templated replies
      - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these
        patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")

Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :)
Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up,
and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?

Konstantin Ryabitsev
Director, IT Core Projects
The Linux Foundation
Montréal, Québec