Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
@ 2019-10-24 20:58 Konstantin Ryabitsev
       [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
                   ` (4 more replies)
  0 siblings, 5 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-10-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

Hi, everyone:

So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have 
expressed interest in attending:

- Steven Rostedt
- Greg Kroah-Hartman
- Dmitry Vyukov
- Konstantin Ryabitsev
- Christian Brauner
- Laurent Pinchart
- Jon Corbet
- Daniel Vetter
- Nicolas Belouin
- Shuah Khan

(If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please 
follow up.)

I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will 
contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think 
we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on 
a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it 
before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location 
on Monday.

Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of 
topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future, 
discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will 
require changing half the known world.

I can discuss any of the following topics at length:

1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features 
   they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both 
   developers and maintainers:
    - public-inbox
    - patchwork
    - bugzilla
    - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot

2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
    - cryptographic attestation of patches
    - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches/series
    - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted 
      patch series and send it to the right places")

3. CI and bot integration
    - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
    - communicating structured data over email
    - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox 
      repositories?)
    - avoiding bug duplication
    - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that 
      nobody has taken on

4. Maintainer tooling
    - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
      - GitHub/GitLab
      - SourceHut
      - Gerrit

    - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
      - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing 
        lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
      - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
      - show interdiffs
      - send automated templated replies
      - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these 
        patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")

Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :) 
Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up, 
and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?

Regards,
-- 
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Director, IT Core Projects
The Linux Foundation
Montréal, Québec

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
       [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
@ 2019-10-25  6:58   ` Nicolas Belouin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Belouin @ 2019-10-25  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, workflows

Excerpts from Konstantin Ryabitsev's message of October 24, 2019 10:58 pm:
> Hi, everyone:
> 
> So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
> Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have 
> expressed interest in attending:
> 
> - Steven Rostedt
> - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> - Dmitry Vyukov
> - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> - Christian Brauner
> - Laurent Pinchart
> - Jon Corbet
> - Daniel Vetter
> - Nicolas Belouin
> - Shuah Khan
> 
> (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please 
> follow up.)
Unfortunately, I won't be able to travel to Lyon (an ankle strain got in 
the way).
> 
> I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will 
> contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think 
> we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on 
> a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it 
> before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location 
> on Monday.
> 
> Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of 
> topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future, 
> discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will 
> require changing half the known world.
> 
> I can discuss any of the following topics at length:
> 
> 1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features 
>    they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both 
>    developers and maintainers:
>     - public-inbox
>     - patchwork
>     - bugzilla
>     - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot
> 
> 2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
>     - cryptographic attestation of patches
>     - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches/series
>     - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted 
>       patch series and send it to the right places")
This point should be addressed during the meeting as it will define some 
goals for the whole process
> 
> 3. CI and bot integration
>     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
>     - communicating structured data over email
>     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox 
>       repositories?)
>     - avoiding bug duplication
>     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that 
>       nobody has taken on
This point is from my point of view the one that should be prioritized 
as it will directly benefit to maintainers, developpers as well as 
users.
> 
> 4. Maintainer tooling
>     - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
>       - GitHub/GitLab
>       - SourceHut
>       - Gerrit
> 
>     - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
>       - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing 
>         lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
>       - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
>       - show interdiffs
>       - send automated templated replies
>       - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these 
>         patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")
> 
> Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :) 
> Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up, 
> and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?
> 
> Regards,
> -- 
> Konstantin Ryabitsev
> Director, IT Core Projects
> The Linux Foundation
> Montréal, Québec
> 

Regards,

Nicolas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-24 20:58 Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon Konstantin Ryabitsev
       [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
@ 2019-10-25 11:16 ` Laurent Pinchart
  2019-10-25 11:20   ` Dmitry Vyukov
  2019-10-26 12:00 ` Kevin Hilman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  4 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2019-10-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: workflows

Hi Konstantin,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 04:58:03PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
> 
> So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
> Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have 
> expressed interest in attending:
> 
> - Steven Rostedt
> - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> - Dmitry Vyukov
> - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> - Christian Brauner
> - Laurent Pinchart
> - Jon Corbet
> - Daniel Vetter
> - Nicolas Belouin
> - Shuah Khan
> 
> (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please 
> follow up.)
> 
> I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will 
> contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think 
> we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on 
> a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it 
> before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location 
> on Monday.

Thank you for organising this.

> Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of 
> topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future, 
> discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will 
> require changing half the known world.
> 
> I can discuss any of the following topics at length:
> 
> 1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features 
>    they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both 
>    developers and maintainers:
>     - public-inbox
>     - patchwork
>     - bugzilla
>     - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot
> 
> 2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
>     - cryptographic attestation of patches
>     - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches/series
>     - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted 
>       patch series and send it to the right places")
> 
> 3. CI and bot integration
>     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
>     - communicating structured data over email
>     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox 
>       repositories?)
>     - avoiding bug duplication
>     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that 
>       nobody has taken on
> 
> 4. Maintainer tooling
>     - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
>       - GitHub/GitLab
>       - SourceHut
>       - Gerrit
> 
>     - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
>       - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing 
>         lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
>       - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
>       - show interdiffs
>       - send automated templated replies
>       - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these 
>         patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")
> 
> Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :) 
> Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up, 
> and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?

I usually favour a top-down approach when discussing these topics,
starting with the big picture. I would thus have proposed discussing how
we can address the problems raised by the forge enthousiasts while not
compromising on the requirements of the decentralisation advocates.

This being said, I think it would indeed take way more time than we have
allocated for this meeting. We could this pick one of the tools that we
think has the most potential today, and discuss how to move it towards
our long term goal that we haven't agreed on yet :-)

I think the maintainer tooling topic is the one that would benefit the
most from face to face discussios as there's more brainstorming there,
while the other three could possibly be discussed by e-mail more easily.

-- 
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-25 11:16 ` Laurent Pinchart
@ 2019-10-25 11:20   ` Dmitry Vyukov
  2019-10-25 12:24     ` Veronika Kabatova
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry Vyukov @ 2019-10-25 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: Konstantin Ryabitsev, workflows

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 04:58:03PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > Hi, everyone:
> >
> > So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
> > Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have
> > expressed interest in attending:
> >
> > - Steven Rostedt
> > - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > - Dmitry Vyukov
> > - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> > - Christian Brauner
> > - Laurent Pinchart
> > - Jon Corbet
> > - Daniel Vetter
> > - Nicolas Belouin
> > - Shuah Khan
> >
> > (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please
> > follow up.)
> >
> > I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will
> > contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think
> > we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on
> > a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it
> > before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location
> > on Monday.
>
> Thank you for organising this.
>
> > Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of
> > topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future,
> > discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will
> > require changing half the known world.
> >
> > I can discuss any of the following topics at length:
> >
> > 1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features
> >    they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both
> >    developers and maintainers:
> >     - public-inbox
> >     - patchwork
> >     - bugzilla
> >     - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot
> >
> > 2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
> >     - cryptographic attestation of patches
> >     - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches/series
> >     - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted
> >       patch series and send it to the right places")
> >
> > 3. CI and bot integration
> >     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
> >     - communicating structured data over email
> >     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox
> >       repositories?)
> >     - avoiding bug duplication
> >     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that
> >       nobody has taken on
> >
> > 4. Maintainer tooling
> >     - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
> >       - GitHub/GitLab
> >       - SourceHut
> >       - Gerrit
> >
> >     - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
> >       - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing
> >         lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
> >       - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
> >       - show interdiffs
> >       - send automated templated replies
> >       - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these
> >         patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")
> >
> > Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :)
> > Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up,
> > and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?
>
> I usually favour a top-down approach when discussing these topics,
> starting with the big picture. I would thus have proposed discussing how
> we can address the problems raised by the forge enthousiasts while not
> compromising on the requirements of the decentralisation advocates.

+1

Spot improvements to a single system are much less disputable.


> This being said, I think it would indeed take way more time than we have
> allocated for this meeting. We could this pick one of the tools that we
> think has the most potential today, and discuss how to move it towards
> our long term goal that we haven't agreed on yet :-)
>
> I think the maintainer tooling topic is the one that would benefit the
> most from face to face discussios as there's more brainstorming there,
> while the other three could possibly be discussed by e-mail more easily.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-25 11:20   ` Dmitry Vyukov
@ 2019-10-25 12:24     ` Veronika Kabatova
  2019-10-25 13:36       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Veronika Kabatova @ 2019-10-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: Laurent Pinchart, workflows, Dmitry Vyukov



----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dmitry Vyukov" <dvyukov@google.com>
> To: "Laurent Pinchart" <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
> Cc: "Konstantin Ryabitsev" <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>, workflows@vger.kernel.org
> Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 1:20:32 PM
> Subject: Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
> 
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM Laurent Pinchart
> <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Konstantin,
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 04:58:03PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > > Hi, everyone:
> > >
> > > So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS
> > > EU
> > > Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have
> > > expressed interest in attending:
> > >
> > > - Steven Rostedt
> > > - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > > - Dmitry Vyukov
> > > - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> > > - Christian Brauner
> > > - Laurent Pinchart
> > > - Jon Corbet
> > > - Daniel Vetter
> > > - Nicolas Belouin
> > > - Shuah Khan
> > >
> > > (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please
> > > follow up.)
> > >
> > > I have confirmed that we can use the Developer Lounge, which will
> > > contain either a whiteboard or a flip chart. Alternatively, if you think
> > > we should get a dedicated meeting room, we can book one on-site. It's on
> > > a first-come, first-served basis and it doesn't look like I can book it
> > > before actually getting there. I will send exact details of the location
> > > on Monday.
> >
> > Thank you for organising this.
> >
> > > Since we only have an hour, I propose that we focus on a couple of
> > > topics and perhaps keep them anchored to the immediate future,
> > > discussing evolutionary changes as opposed to grand schemes that will
> > > require changing half the known world.
> > >
> > > I can discuss any of the following topics at length:
> > >
> > > 1. Current tools and automation offered at kernel.org, plus new features
> > >    they are likely to see in the future that are interesting to both
> > >    developers and maintainers:
> > >     - public-inbox
> > >     - patchwork
> > >     - bugzilla
> > >     - pr-tracker-bot and git-patchwork-bot
> > >
> > > 2. Proposed enhancements to the email-based workflow
> > >     - cryptographic attestation of patches
> > >     - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted
> > >     patches/series
> > >     - git-to-ML bridges ("turn this pull request into a well-formatted
> > >       patch series and send it to the right places")
> > >
> > > 3. CI and bot integration
> > >     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
> > >     - communicating structured data over email
> > >     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox
> > >       repositories?)
> > >     - avoiding bug duplication
> > >     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that
> > >       nobody has taken on
> > >

Hi,

if in the end any CI discussion fits into the agenda (or there will be
a separate discussion), please consider inviting CI people too. They can
offer information about what's feasible to do from CI point, and note
any feedback to know what we should adjust for CI to be more useful for
developers/maintainers.

I can attend for CKI side and there should be multiple people from
Kernel CI and LKFT attending the conference too.



Veronika

> > > 4. Maintainer tooling
> > >     - adaptability of existing tools for kernel development, such as:
> > >       - GitHub/GitLab
> > >       - SourceHut
> > >       - Gerrit
> > >
> > >     - building on top of public-inbox feeds to create a tool that can:
> > >       - track patches obtained from multiple sources (multiple mailing
> > >         lists, individual developer feeds, bot activity feeds, etc)
> > >       - collect the usual trailers (Reviewed-By's, etc)
> > >       - show interdiffs
> > >       - send automated templated replies
> > >       - apply series to a local git repository (streamlining "save these
> > >         patches as an mbox, make a new branch, run git-am")
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, that's enough topics to fill a 3-day mini-summit. :)
> > > Which ones are folks most interested in discussing during the meet-up,
> > > and which ones should be targeted for hallway discussions?
> >
> > I usually favour a top-down approach when discussing these topics,
> > starting with the big picture. I would thus have proposed discussing how
> > we can address the problems raised by the forge enthousiasts while not
> > compromising on the requirements of the decentralisation advocates.
> 
> +1
> 
> Spot improvements to a single system are much less disputable.
> 
> 
> > This being said, I think it would indeed take way more time than we have
> > allocated for this meeting. We could this pick one of the tools that we
> > think has the most potential today, and discuss how to move it towards
> > our long term goal that we haven't agreed on yet :-)
> >
> > I think the maintainer tooling topic is the one that would benefit the
> > most from face to face discussios as there's more brainstorming there,
> > while the other three could possibly be discussed by e-mail more easily.
> 


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-25 12:24     ` Veronika Kabatova
@ 2019-10-25 13:36       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2019-10-25 14:15         ` Veronika Kabatova
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-10-25 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veronika Kabatova; +Cc: Laurent Pinchart, workflows, Dmitry Vyukov

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:24:07AM -0400, Veronika Kabatova wrote:
>> > > 3. CI and bot integration
>> > >     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
>> > >     - communicating structured data over email
>> > >     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox
>> > >       repositories?)
>> > >     - avoiding bug duplication
>> > >     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that
>> > >       nobody has taken on
>> > >
>
>Hi,
>
>if in the end any CI discussion fits into the agenda (or there will be
>a separate discussion), please consider inviting CI people too. They can
>offer information about what's feasible to do from CI point, and note
>any feedback to know what we should adjust for CI to be more useful for
>developers/maintainers.
>
>I can attend for CKI side and there should be multiple people from
>Kernel CI and LKFT attending the conference too.

I'm leaning towards having CI folks organize a separate session to go 
over integration points. I will be happy to attend that one as well, but 
if we have too many topics and too many attendees during the meeting we 
are trying to organize, it is unlikely to be very productive.

-K

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-25 13:36       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2019-10-25 14:15         ` Veronika Kabatova
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Veronika Kabatova @ 2019-10-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: workflows



----- Original Message -----
> From: "Konstantin Ryabitsev" <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
> To: "Veronika Kabatova" <vkabatov@redhat.com>
> Cc: "Laurent Pinchart" <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>, workflows@vger.kernel.org, "Dmitry Vyukov"
> <dvyukov@google.com>
> Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 3:36:14 PM
> Subject: Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
> 
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:24:07AM -0400, Veronika Kabatova wrote:
> >> > > 3. CI and bot integration
> >> > >     - identifying the data that maintainers/developers want to see
> >> > >     - communicating structured data over email
> >> > >     - providing consumable feeds of CI/bot jobs (as public-inbox
> >> > >       repositories?)
> >> > >     - avoiding bug duplication
> >> > >     - recognizing when a bug is fixed and following up on issues that
> >> > >       nobody has taken on
> >> > >
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >if in the end any CI discussion fits into the agenda (or there will be
> >a separate discussion), please consider inviting CI people too. They can
> >offer information about what's feasible to do from CI point, and note
> >any feedback to know what we should adjust for CI to be more useful for
> >developers/maintainers.
> >
> >I can attend for CKI side and there should be multiple people from
> >Kernel CI and LKFT attending the conference too.
> 
> I'm leaning towards having CI folks organize a separate session to go
> over integration points. I will be happy to attend that one as well, but
> if we have too many topics and too many attendees during the meeting we
> are trying to organize, it is unlikely to be very productive.
> 

I'm not sure if there are any meetings of this nature planned but I'll
notify you if I learn anything new, thanks for the interest! There is also
ATS [0] on Thursday which will include presentations about CI systems and
how they are/plan to be integrated with upstream development, in case you
(or anyone else on this list) are attending that as well.

Please keep the list posted about the outcomes!

[0] https://events19.linuxfoundation.org/events/ats-2019/

Veronika

> -K
> 


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-24 20:58 Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon Konstantin Ryabitsev
       [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
  2019-10-25 11:16 ` Laurent Pinchart
@ 2019-10-26 12:00 ` Kevin Hilman
  2019-10-28  9:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2019-10-28 11:42 ` Frank Rowand
  4 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2019-10-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, workflows

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> writes:

> So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
> Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have 
> expressed interest in attending:
>
> - Steven Rostedt
> - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> - Dmitry Vyukov
> - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> - Christian Brauner
> - Laurent Pinchart
> - Jon Corbet
> - Daniel Vetter
> - Nicolas Belouin
> - Shuah Khan
>
> (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please 
> follow up.)

I plan to attend with my KernelCI hat on.  The primary goal for me is
listening/observing in order to report back to the other folks doing CI
tooling so we can collaborate on integration points.

Kevin

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-24 20:58 Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon Konstantin Ryabitsev
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2019-10-26 12:00 ` Kevin Hilman
@ 2019-10-28  9:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2019-10-28 10:03   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  2019-10-28 11:42 ` Frank Rowand
  4 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-10-28  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

OK, slight complication. It's a lot more people than expected:

> - Steven Rostedt
> - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> - Dmitry Vyukov
> - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> - Christian Brauner
> - Laurent Pinchart
> - Jon Corbet
> - Daniel Vetter
> - Nicolas Belouin
> - Shuah Khan

- Nicolas Belouin
+ Daniel Díaz
+ Rafael Wysocki
+ Han-Wen Nienhuys
+ Kevin Hilman

That makes 13 people, and now that I'm here, the developer lounge can
accommodate maybe about 18 people total, meaning that if we were to
meet here, we'd have to pretty much kick everyone else out. It's also
in the middle of the sponsor showcase hall, so 13 people would have to
speak very loudly to hear each-other. We *can* make it work, but it
will be suboptimal.

The bookable meeting spaces also cannot easily accommodate 13 people,
unless we rearrange the whole area (and it's also in the sponsor
showcase hall, though in a quieter corner).
I'll work with the events team to see if there are other options, but
currently it's not looking promising, as all rooms are occupied by
ongoing events.

I'll follow up shortly.

-K

Konstantin Ryabitsev
Director, IT Core Projects
The Linux Foundation
Montréal, Québec

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-28  9:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2019-10-28 10:03   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-10-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 05:25, Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> OK, slight complication. It's a lot more people than expected:
>
> > - Steven Rostedt
> > - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> > - Dmitry Vyukov
> > - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> > - Christian Brauner
> > - Laurent Pinchart
> > - Jon Corbet
> > - Daniel Vetter
> > - Nicolas Belouin
> > - Shuah Khan
>
> - Nicolas Belouin
> + Daniel Díaz
> + Rafael Wysocki
> + Han-Wen Nienhuys
> + Kevin Hilman

Okay we can make this work -- there are 3 round tables at the right
forward corner of the sponsor showcase room (to the very right of the
entrance doorways). It's quiet and next to the noise-cancelling walls,
so we should be able to meet and discuss there.

So:

Tooling and Workflows meeting, 14:00-15:00 in the Sponsor Showcase room.
Rough agenda:

14:00: introductions
14:05: Enhancing the email workflow:
    - cryptographic attestation of patches
    - adding (and requiring) base tree information in submitted patches
    - git-to-ML bridging
    - attestable bot, forge and developer activity feeds
14:30 Maintainer and developer tooling
    - can forges integrate with email workflows?
    - defining a minimal set of features useful for the maintainer
tool (kit/kthul)

The meeting will be unconference-style, so time overruns and agenda
usurpation is 100% expected.

I would love to brainstorm more about CI/bot integration, but I think
it makes sense to make it a separate discussion, perhaps with a
smaller subset of people. I believe if we manage to establish a
workflow around attestable public-inbox feeds, that will pave a
possible way for bot cross-integration.

I will be semi-permanently in the developer lounge area, so please
feel free to come and chat about any of these or other topics.

-K

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon
  2019-10-24 20:58 Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon Konstantin Ryabitsev
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
  2019-10-28  9:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
@ 2019-10-28 11:42 ` Frank Rowand
  4 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Frank Rowand @ 2019-10-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows, konstantin

On 10/24/19 3:58 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
> 
> So, if I read everything correctly, the meeting shall take place at OSS EU
> Lyon, on Tuesday, from 14:00 to 15:00. The following people have expressed interest in attending:
> 
> - Steven Rostedt
> - Greg Kroah-Hartman
> - Dmitry Vyukov
> - Konstantin Ryabitsev
> - Christian Brauner
> - Laurent Pinchart
> - Jon Corbet
> - Daniel Vetter
> - Nicolas Belouin
> - Shuah Khan
> 
> (If your name is not on this list but you're planning to attend, please follow up.)

< snip >

I plan to attend.

-Frank

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 11+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-10-24 20:58 Tooling and workflows meeting at OSS EU Lyon Konstantin Ryabitsev
     [not found] ` <<20191024205803.qdn6p32iyj5rqvc6@chatter.i7.local>
2019-10-25  6:58   ` Nicolas Belouin
2019-10-25 11:16 ` Laurent Pinchart
2019-10-25 11:20   ` Dmitry Vyukov
2019-10-25 12:24     ` Veronika Kabatova
2019-10-25 13:36       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
2019-10-25 14:15         ` Veronika Kabatova
2019-10-26 12:00 ` Kevin Hilman
2019-10-28  9:25 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
2019-10-28 10:03   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
2019-10-28 11:42 ` Frank Rowand

Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/0 workflows/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 workflows workflows/ https://lore.kernel.org/workflows \
		workflows@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index workflows

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.workflows


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git