workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* patch attachments still unwelcome?
@ 2019-11-01  2:27 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-11-01  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows

The BDFL sets an example by attaching patches:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/?q=f%3Atorvalds+n%3Apatch

So the documentation in the kernel advising against sending
patch attachments seems hypocritical.  Changing the kernel docs
allow patch attachments could be a good start to making life
easier for contributors without SMTP or IMAP access.

Are many MUAs still incapable of handling them?
mutt shows text patches inline, at least.

I've already been making public-inbox look harder for pre/post-image
OIDs in attachments that it wouldn't decode before:

https://public-inbox.org/meta/20191031031220.21048-1-e@80x24.org/

And I'm considering making it handle application/octet-stream, too;
since patches do end up with the wrong Content-Type, sometimes:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CANAwSgRs2DUXwvhJD5qpXg04qEdP_Nt-wQqRbD2FpY2SWnHpAA@mail.gmail.com/