Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Matthias Brugger <mbrugger@suse.com>
To: Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com>, bjorn@helgaas.com
Cc: "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.ibm.com>,
	workflows@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: matrix.org as a replacement for IRC?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 13:46:04 +0100

On 14/01/2020 20:14, Drew DeVault wrote:
> On Tue Jan 14, 2020 at 1:13 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>> I'd never heard of matrix.org and don't have an opinion either way. I
>> do find IRC useful. Proxies make it much more useful, and if I have a
>> choice, I'd rather not pay $50/year to irccloud just for a permanent
>> presence.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear the details of your NACK, because they'd
>> likely be informative and useful to me.
>
> $50/year is offset by one fewer cup of coffee per month.

Given that we are a global community, you can't take the US living standard as
an argument that something is affordable to everyone.

> In any case, bouncers are not as necessary as they might seem. The idea
> of an infinite backlog encourages you to keep up with discussions you
> missed, which is a bad way of approaching IRC. Docs don't live in IRC,
> projects don't live in IRC, tickets don't live in IRC - any discussion
> that people shouldn't be fine with missing should be summarized and
> forwarded to a more appropriate medium.
>
> I use a bouncer mainly because IRC is such an important part of my life
> that it's helpful for organization, and it's nice for people to be able
> to drop me a quick note while I'm offline. Nice, but easily replaced
> with email for anyone without a bouncer.

I use both matrix and IRC, you can use matrix as a IRC bouncer but it got
blocked on some channels. Anyway I don't think that IRC is a must-have in our
community as you can always fall-back to email. That holds at least for the part
of the kernel I'm involved. So, from my point of view, no need for action.

Regards,
Matthias