xdp-newbies.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* netdev stats for AF_XDP traffic
@ 2022-07-08  6:19 Srivats P
From: Srivats P @ 2022-07-08  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xdp, Network Development

Hi,

Is there any update on the "consistency for XDP statistics" [1]
high-prio work item from the xdp-project.net project management page?

More specifically the fact that the mlx driver (are there others too?)
don't update netdev/ifconfig stats for XDP/AF_XDP traffic? The email
thread started for that item dates from 2018 and hasn't seen any
updates after that.

I see some recent patch/commit activity about XDP specific stats via
netlink but I believe this is different from the standard
netdev/ifconfig stats.

Srivats

[1] https://xdp-project.net/#Consistency-for-statistics-with-XDP

* Re: netdev stats for AF_XDP traffic
@ 2022-07-08  7:00 ` Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2022-07-08  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srivats P, Xdp, Network Development
  Cc: brouer, Lorenzo Bianconi, David Ahern, Jakub Kicinski

On 08/07/2022 08.19, Srivats P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any update on the "consistency for XDP statistics" [1]
> high-prio work item from the xdp-project.net project management page?

Lorenzo (cc) have done cleanups in several drivers, both mvneta and
veth, but not mlx5. Ahern (cc) also had an interest earlier.

> More specifically the fact that the mlx driver (are there others too?)
> don't update netdev/ifconfig stats for XDP/AF_XDP traffic?

IMHO the drivers MUST update the netdev/ifconfig RX stats, even when an
XDP action is taken.  XDP-progs are user installed software, and not
updating netdev RX-stats (for some XDP actions) is very confusing for
all existing stats collector tools.
The mlx drivers are (sadly) the most inconsistent if I remember correctly.

> The email thread started for that item dates from 2018 and hasn't
> seen any updates after that.
I think nobody have really had the time to fix up this inconsistent
stats mess.

Are you interested in working on this?

> I see some recent patch/commit activity about XDP specific stats via
> netlink but I believe this is different from the standard
> netdev/ifconfig stats.

Yes, if taking this "task", I recommend focusing on standardizing
netdev/ifconfig stats behavior for XDP.  Solving the other XDP specific
stats is a much larger task with much upstream discussions required.

> Srivats
>
> [1] https://xdp-project.net/#Consistency-for-statistics-with-XDP

--Jesper

* Re: netdev stats for AF_XDP traffic
@ 2023-11-30 11:40   ` Srivats P
From: Srivats P @ 2023-11-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  Cc: Xdp, Network Development, brouer, Lorenzo Bianconi, David Ahern,
	Jakub Kicinski

Hi,

> > Is there any update on the "consistency for XDP statistics" [1]
> > high-prio work item from the xdp-project.net project management page?
>
> Lorenzo (cc) have done cleanups in several drivers, both mvneta and
> veth, but not mlx5. Ahern (cc) also had an interest earlier.
>

> > More specifically the fact that the mlx driver (are there others too?)
> > don't update netdev/ifconfig stats for XDP/AF_XDP traffic?
>
> IMHO the drivers MUST update the netdev/ifconfig RX stats, even when an
> XDP action is taken.  XDP-progs are user installed software, and not
> updating netdev RX-stats (for some XDP actions) is very confusing for
> all existing stats collector tools.

Does anyone know if the mlx4/mlx5 driver in recent kernel versions
update the netdev stats for AF_XDP tx/rx traffic?