From: wogiz@openmailbox.org
To: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
Cc: mihai.dontu@gmail.com, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com>,
	xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Subject: Re: Bug in x86 instruction emulator?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 06:06:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2016-04-15 19:44, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 15/04/16 18:33, wogiz@openmailbox.org wrote:
>> On 2016-04-07 04:04, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> We'd need to know which exact exception (including error code and,
>>> in the case of #PF, CR2 value) gets raised to the guest by what
>>> specific piece of code in the hypervisor. That'll likely mean some
>>> instrumentation of the hypervisor code.
>>>
>>> Jan
>>
>> I want to give it a try, but I'm not sure how the hypervisor code
>> should be modified.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some documentation or anything else that can
>> help me get started?
>
> Very sorry - I have been busy with patches intended for the 4.7 code
> freeze.
>
> What domU are you using?  Is the issue reproducible from a LiveCD by
> any
> chance?
>
> ~Andrew

No problem. I appreciate your help.

I'm using Alpine Linux 3.3.3 domU, but I have also tested various
versions
of Ubuntu.

The issue is reproducible from LiveCD, both Alpine and Ubuntu.

The only requriements to reproduce the fault is a Linux HVM domU with
vga="qxl"
and qxl driver installed in domU. Xorg will segfault instantly when
started, no
matter what Linux distro or other configuration.

William Z.