From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@oracle.com>
To: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@kernel.org>
Cc: "xen-devel@lists.xensource.com" <xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
Subject: Re: Xen default install - no cpufreq on dom0 ?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:00:12 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:48:18PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> For a while now I've been installing Xen from source on my Debian box,
> with a default configuration always. This is party why I've run into
> compile issues before it seems, but I've also just picked up on
> another possible issue. My system on dom0 overheats and shuts itself
> off. For a while I didn't think this was Xen related and perhaps
> related to the fact that I built this system myself. However, after
> running Debian without Xen (rm -rf /boot/xen*; update-grub; reboot;
> systemd-detect-virt yield none) it would seem this does not happen.
> What's a bit concerning though is even if I run offlineimap in
> singlethreaded mode (offlineimap -1) the machine overheats and shuts
> itself off, so I don't necessarily need to be doing a lot of work. I
> tried compiling the kernel without Xen while running offlineimap as
> well with make -j 8 and it doesn't overheat, meanwhile on Xen dom0
> just using offlineimap -1 seems to trigger a shutoff rather quickly.

What exactly triggers the shutoff.

> The kernel has:
>
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>
> I tried on /etc/default/grub
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE="cpufreq=dom0-kernel"
>
> But that didn't help. This is running 4.5.0-rc2 and the latest Xen I
> was able to build (I try xen staging tree always).

Right.  We are actually going to remove that option as it makes no sense
for Linux (dom0) to control the cpu frequency.

Irrespective of that - there are simply no drivers in dom0 that would
do the cpufreq for you (unless you recompile the kernel and edit in
arch/x86/xen/enlighten.c the calls to disable cpuidle and cpufreq code).