* Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-15 10:56 Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-03-15 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: WeiLiu, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini

Folks,

I just noticed a cluster of issues related to Xen unstable hanging on various ARM boards. See
* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/dra7-j6-evm-xen-booting-issue.html
* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/problem-with-dom0.html
* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/running-xen-on-omap5.html

This may imply an underlying bug somewhere that may need to be looked into

Lars

* Re: Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-15 18:37 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-03-15 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, xen-devel; +Cc: Stefano Stabellini, baozich, WeiLiu

(CC Chen for the omap port)

Hi Lars,

On 15/03/16 10:56, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just noticed a cluster of issues related to Xen unstable hanging on various ARM boards. See
> * http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/dra7-j6-evm-xen-booting-issue.html

Xen seems to be stuck just after bringing up the secondary CPU. This
would require further debug to find where Xen is stuck.

I don't have the board but I'm happy to give advice on which part to focus.

> * http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/problem-with-dom0.html
> * http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/running-xen-on-omap5.html

"(XEN) Freed 280kB init memory" is the last message printed by Xen
before DOM0 is booting.

At this stage, the problem is usually specific to the board. I've looked
at the wiki page, it is recommended to use upstream but doesn't provide
a version which is known to work. Chen, do you remember which version of
Linux is supposed to work on this board?

Julien Grall

* Re: Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-16  9:05   ` Chen Baozi
From: Chen Baozi @ 2016-03-16  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, WeiLiu, Stefano Stabellini

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 06:37:43PM +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
> (CC Chen for the omap port)
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> On 15/03/16 10:56, Lars Kurth wrote:
> >Folks,
> >
> >I just noticed a cluster of issues related to Xen unstable hanging on various ARM boards. See
> >* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/dra7-j6-evm-xen-booting-issue.html
>
> Xen seems to be stuck just after bringing up the secondary CPU. This would
> require further debug to find where Xen is stuck.
>
> I don't have the board but I'm happy to give advice on which part to focus.
>
> >* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/problem-with-dom0.html
> >* http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/running-xen-on-omap5.html
>
> "(XEN) Freed 280kB init memory" is the last message printed by Xen before
> DOM0 is booting.
>
> At this stage, the problem is usually specific to the board. I've looked at
> the wiki page, it is recommended to use upstream but doesn't provide a
> version which is known to work. Chen, do you remember which version of Linux
> is supposed to work on this board?

Upstream kernel should work for OMAP5 since the wiki has been wrote.

I can't remember the exact upstream linux version which started to fully support
my OMAP5 uEVM board. Just check my old source tree, where v3.11 is the version I
worked on for the last time.

Cheers,

Baozi.

* Re: Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-16 21:18   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-03-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, psujkov, Doug Goldstein
  Cc: xen-devel, baozich, WeiLiu, Stefano Stabellini

Julien,  Bao,

thanks for responding so quickly.

(CC'ing Paul and Doug)

@Paul: I remember that you guys are using Jacinto boards. You may want to double check quickly, whether this affects you also. If it is a bug that has been introduced recently, it be good to get it resolved before the next release.

@Doug, you mentioned on IRC that you see a similar issue on a board which worked before. What board are you using?

@ 2016-03-16 21:57     ` Paul Sujkov
From: Paul Sujkov @ 2016-03-16 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: WeiLiu, Doug Goldstein, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini,
	xen-devel, baozich

Thanks Lars,

we're not using 4.7-unstable at the moment, but we'll check this asap.

* Re: Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-18 17:20       ` Paul Sujkov
From: Paul Sujkov @ 2016-03-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: WeiLiu, orientua, Doug Goldstein, Julien Grall,
	Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, baozich

linking in Iurii, who did an investigation of this issue from our side.

* Re: Frequent reports about Xen unstable hanging on ARM boots
@ 2016-03-18 17:36         ` Юрій Коноваленко
From: Юрій Коноваленко @ 2016-03-18 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sujkov
  Cc: WeiLiu, Lars Kurth, Doug Goldstein, Julien Grall,