* xen-utils not running within xen or no compatible utils
@ 2016-04-01 15:07 aicha hamza
From: aicha hamza @ 2016-04-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

hello
i build xen from the source

git clone git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git

xen run in omap 5 board with ubuntu  file system
i'm looking of download some guests but there is no internet connection so
i install xen tools by downloading xen-tools.deb then with dpkg command i
install it
but while doing the same steps to xen-utils-common i get this error

Preparing to unpack xen-utils-common_4.5.0-1ubuntu4.4_all.deb ...
 * Not running within Xen or no compatible utils

i'have tried other versions but still the same problem
and when i write xl ..i get

ERROR:  Can't find version 4.7 of xen utils, bailing out!

does any body can help me
Regards

* Re: xen-utils not running within xen or no compatible utils
@ 2016-04-01 15:20 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:07:42PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
> hello
> i build xen from the source
>
> git clone git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git
>
> xen run in omap 5 board with ubuntu  file system
> i'm looking of download some guests but there is no internet connection so
> i install xen tools by downloading xen-tools.deb then with dpkg command i
> install it
> but while doing the same steps to xen-utils-common i get this error
>
> Preparing to unpack xen-utils-common_4.5.0-1ubuntu4.4_all.deb ...
>  * Not running within Xen or no compatible utils
>
> i'have tried other versions but still the same problem
> and when i write xl ..i get
>
> ERROR:  Can't find version 4.7 of xen utils, bailing out!

In short, you can't mix and match deb binaries and source compiled
binaries. Even if you manage to install them, they won't work
together properly.

One way to work around that is to download whatever files / repositories
xen.git need and put them in the right location.

Wei.

@ 2016-04-01 15:33   ` aicha hamza
From: aicha hamza @ 2016-04-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

thanks for your reply
can you please explain more the way to work ..i don't understand it .. ..
this is my first experience with xen
 thanks

@ 2016-04-01 15:40     ` Wei Liu
       [not found]       ` <CAOCTMig8ABzS1S2y8NdBXfXd3bc0AKgGEMxKjcYFXAr0_p9FgA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:33:02PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
> thanks for your reply
> can you please explain more the way to work ..i don't understand it .. ..
> this is my first experience with xen
>  thanks

I take it you're trying to compile Xen from source code, please have a
look at

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source

Wei.

@ 2016-04-01 15:51         ` aicha hamza
From: aicha hamza @ 2016-04-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, Wei Liu

sorry .. i made a mistake " as i told you before there is no  internet
connection in my board "

@ 2016-04-01 16:47         ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-01 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: Xen-devel, Julien Grall, Wei Liu

Add back xen-devel

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:45:31PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
> yes i compiled xen from the source  .. this is exactly what i did
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OMAP5432_uEVM
>
> and i get xen running in my board .. but i can't build guest because there

So this is done. Good. I misread.

> is no xen-utils-common
> and as i told you before there is internet connection in my board .. so how
> can i get sen.utils package !!

As far as I can tell xen-tools uses Debian debootstrap to build a guest
which means you have to have Internet connection. Maybe you can prebuild
the image from somewhere.

Julien, do you have pointers on how to get an ARM guest image?

Wei.

* Re: xen-utils not running within xen or no compatible utils
@ 2016-04-03 12:38           ` aicha hamza
From: aicha hamza @ 2016-04-03 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Xen-devel, Julien Grall

but how can i prebuild the image from somewhere !!

@ 2016-04-04 10:27             ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-04 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: Xen-devel, Julien Grall, Wei Liu

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 02:38:41PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
> but how can i prebuild the image from somewhere !!

Try using Debian debootstrap? I don't normally use xen-tools or Xen on
ARM so I don't really have good recommendations.

Maybe also search wiki.xenproject.org to see if there is anything
useful?

Wei.

@ 2016-04-04 10:40               ` aicha hamza
From: aicha hamza @ 2016-04-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: Xen-devel, Julien Grall

what you mean by using debian debootstrap !! how can i work with it !

@ 2016-04-04 10:44                 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: Xen-devel, Julien Grall, Wei Liu

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:40:30PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
> what you mean by using debian debootstrap !! how can i work with it !

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=debian+debootstrap

Google is your friend. :-)

And please read

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Asking_Developer_Questions

Wei.

@ 2016-04-04 12:27           ` Julien Grall
       [not found]             ` <CAOCTMig3_Ck8znBPttNHtD7Z3yxp9p0YoFb=3O9tboOxWNZ2Nw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-04-04 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, aicha hamza; +Cc: Xen-devel, sstabellini

Hello,

On 01/04/2016 17:47, Wei Liu wrote:
> Add back xen-devel
>
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:45:31PM +0200, aicha hamza wrote:
>> yes i compiled xen from the source  .. this is exactly what i did
>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/OMAP5432_uEVM
>>
>> and i get xen running in my board .. but i can't build guest because there
>
> So this is done. Good. I misread.
>
>> is no xen-utils-common
>> and as i told you before there is internet connection in my board .. so how
>> can i get sen.utils package !!
>>

> As far as I can tell xen-tools uses Debian debootstrap to build a guest
> which means you have to have Internet connection. Maybe you can prebuild
> the image from somewhere.
>
> Julien, do you have pointers on how to get an ARM guest image?

Linaro provides pre-built image [1]. Note that I haven't tried it recently.

As mentioned by Wei, Debootstrap is a good alternative. You will get a
small rootfs ready in a couple of minutes.

Regards,

[1] https://releases.linaro.org/15.06/ubuntu/vexpress/

--
Julien Grall

@ 2016-04-04 13:21               ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-04-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aicha hamza; +Cc: sstabellini, Wei Liu, xen-devel

(Adding back xen-devel)

Please don't top post and keep xen-devel CCed.

On 04/04/2016 14:15, aicha hamza wrote:
> i'm actually looking for building a dom u for omap5 but the problem that
> i don't have an internet connection .. so i can't get the xen-utils ..
> (no xl command) is there an other method to have a guest for my board

The first step would be looking why the board doesn't get network.

Julien Grall