As a followup to the issue below, and the one which "just" popped in in qemu-2.6+: Why is the machine description for xen not fixed? Shouldnt the be some sort of verification of old and new 'xenfv' when a new qemu rc1 is done? Is there a way to dump the machine description in text form? Olaf On Fri, May 13, Stefano Stabellini wrote: > On Thu, 12 May 2016, Olaf Hering wrote: > > On Thu, May 12, Olaf Hering wrote: > > > > > One thing to fix it in staging-4.5 is to introduce a dummy device which > > > handles a section named "kvm-tpr-opt". I already have a hack which does > > > that, and the migration proceeds. I will propose a patch to deal with > > > this part of the bug. > > > > Something like shown below. > > Thanks for looking into this. I don't think that adding a dummy device > in QEMU is acceptable. This kind of problems is usually solved with > versioning the PC machine in QEMU, see all the pc_machine_* in > hw/i386/pc_piix.c. One specific version of the machine is supposed to > remain identical over multiple QEMU releases. In this case xenfv (or the > pc machine you are using, if you are not using xenfv) has to be always > identical. That's why I think we need to add kvmapic back to it for > compatibility. I know it sucks. But we can choose a different PC machine > with accel=xen for new VMs.