From: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@citrix.com>
To: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@cardoe.com>
Cc: xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org
Subject: [Xen-devel] Notes from summit design session on branch management
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:39:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Here are the photos I took of the flipchart:
  https://xenbits.xen.org/people/iwj/2019/summit-ci-branch-workshop/

My notes, in fairly unredacted form, are below.  We should to write
this up into a proper proposal.

-8<-

Phase 1

 A robot will create a Gitlab MR out of each of certain branches on
 xenbits

 Each such branch will be rebased onto staging and the result run
 through the existing Gitlab CI tests.

 After Gitlab CI has been run on each MR, if it passes, a robot pushes
 it to staging.

 After this has been running for a while, we ask maintainers to push
 to the new robot input branches (above) rather than directly to
 staging.

Phase 2

 Instead of testing staging, osstest will directly combine number of
 the outstanding gitlab MRs into a single candidate branch, and test
 that.  If it passes, it gets pushed to master.

 If it fails, osstest uses the Gitlab API to write a comment to the MR
 about this.  Other metadata such as a request by a committer to retry
 the branch, or priority information, can be handled the same way.

 The selection of outstanding branches uses some kind of heuristic to
 try to collect a combination which (a) bites of a good chunk of the
 outstanding work and (b) is likely to pass.