* Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
@ 2016-05-05 17:08 Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel, Wei Liu

Hi everyone,

I updated http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Test_Days and created http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions (note that we only have one page for all RC's now to avoid unnecessary copy and pasting).

For those who want new features to be tested, please expect to
a) Explain what to test (a very short description of the feature)
b) Add some instructions on how to test (e.g. some command line instructions)

You can add a new headline (an example is marked with TODO) to either
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_ARM_Test_Instructions
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_x86_Test_Instructions
- OR http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RC_specific_things_to_test (under a specific RC heading)

I will start promoting Test Days from early next week (on the blog, but also on the mailing lists). The more specific test instructions for Xen 4.7 related features, the better the coverage will be and the more likely people are to actually test.

Best Regards
Lars

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
@ 2016-05-09 15:28 ` Lars Kurth
                     ` (6 more replies)
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel, Wei Liu
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Doug Goldstein,
	Chunyan Liu, George Dunlap, ross.lagerwall, Julien Grall, mengxu,
	Chong Li

Hi all,

I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:

I do have some questions, to ...
- Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
- Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
- Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
- George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity, for hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for HVM guests that should be added?

For the following sections there are some TODO's - please verify and modify and once OK, remove the TODO from the wiki pages.

VCPU-PIN (Juergen Gross)
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#-f_option_for_xl_vcpu-pin

RTDS (Meng Xu, Chong Li)
- Meng, you mention improvements to the RTDS scheduler in another thread
- Are any specific test instructions needed in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RTDS_scheduler_improvements

COLO (Wen Congyang)
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/COLO_-_Coarse_Grain_Lock_Stepping
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#COLO_-_Coarse_Grain_Lock_Stepping

USB (Chunyan Liu)
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#USB_Support_for_xl
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough#PVUSB
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough#PVUSB_in_xl.2Flibxl

CDP (He Chen)
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Intel_Code_and_Data_Prioritization_.28CDP.29
- http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Intel_Platform_QoS_Technologies#Code_and_Data_Prioritization_.28CDP.29

Are there any other big items that are missing?

Regards
Lars

> On 5 May 2016, at 18:08, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I updated http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Test_Days and created http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions (note that we only have one page for all RC's now to avoid unnecessary copy and pasting).
>
> For those who want new features to be tested, please expect to
> a) Explain what to test (a very short description of the feature)
> b) Add some instructions on how to test (e.g. some command line instructions)
>
> You can add a new headline (an example is marked with TODO) to either
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_ARM_Test_Instructions
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_x86_Test_Instructions
> - OR http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RC_specific_things_to_test (under a specific RC heading)
>
> I will start promoting Test Days from early next week (on the blog, but also on the mailing lists). The more specific test instructions for Xen 4.7 related features, the better the coverage will be and the more likely people are to actually test.
>
> Best Regards
> Lars

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
@ 2016-05-09 16:03   ` George Dunlap
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-05-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Doug Goldstein,
	Chunyan Liu, Ross Lagerwall, Julien Grall, Meng Xu, Chong Li,
	Xen-devel

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
> - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
> - George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity, for hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for HVM guests that should be added?

Hard affinity tests shouldn't be too difficult to add in.  There are
certainly tests for drbd and iscsi, but I'm not personally that
familiar with them, it would basically be, "If you use drbd or iscsi
backends, try HVM guests". :-)

Soft Reset was added in by Vitaly, I believe; I listed it because I
saw it in the git history.

 -George

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
@ 2016-05-09 16:17   ` Julien Grall
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-05-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel, Wei Liu, Stefano Stabellini, Steve Capper
  Cc: Shannon Zhao

(CC Shannon, Stefano and Steve)

Hi Lars,

On 09/05/16 16:28, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?

General testing of Xen on the boards we are supporting.

We may also want some testing on ACPI, which will be in tech preview for
Xen 4.7. However this is requiring platform with ACPI 6.0 (or later). If
I remember correctly, none of the ARM64 platform we support fulfill this
requirement. Steve, do you have any platform in mind?

Shannon, which platform have you used for the ACPI development? Was it
the Foundation Model?

If so we would need to write down (or update) a wiki page with the
instructions to boot Xen on the model.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

@ 2016-05-09 16:55     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-09 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, Vitaly Kuznetsov; +Cc: Xen-devel

Reduced CC list

> On 9 May 2016, at 17:03, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>>
>> I do have some questions, to ...
>> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
>> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
>> - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
>> - George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity, for hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for HVM guests that should be added?
>
> Hard affinity tests shouldn't be too difficult to add in.

That would be great

> There are
> certainly tests for drbd and iscsi, but I'm not personally that
> familiar with them, it would basically be, "If you use drbd or iscsi
> backends, try HVM guests". :-)

I can add that

> Soft Reset was added in by Vitaly, I believe; I listed it because I
> saw it in the git history.

Added Vitaly

@ 2016-05-09 16:56     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: Xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu, Shannon Zhao, Steve Capper

> On 9 May 2016, at 17:17, Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:
>
> (CC Shannon, Stefano and Steve)
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> On 09/05/16 16:28, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>>
>> I do have some questions, to ...
>> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
>> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
>
> General testing of Xen on the boards we are supporting.

That is already in the boilerplate, but I can make it more prominent

> We may also want some testing on ACPI, which will be in tech preview for Xen 4.7. However this is requiring platform with ACPI 6.0 (or later). If I remember correctly, none of the ARM64 platform we support fulfill this requirement. Steve, do you have any platform in mind?
>
> Shannon, which platform have you used for the ACPI development? Was it the Foundation Model?
>
> If so we would need to write down (or update) a wiki page with the instructions to boot Xen on the model.

That makes sense

There was wallclock also, if I recall

@ 2016-05-09 17:11       ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-05-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu, Shannon Zhao, Steve Capper

On 09/05/16 17:56, Lars Kurth wrote:

>> On 9 May 2016, at 17:17, Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:
>>
>> (CC Shannon, Stefano and Steve)
>>
>> Hi Lars,
>>
>> On 09/05/16 16:28, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>>>
>>> I do have some questions, to ...
>>> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
>>> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
>>
>> General testing of Xen on the boards we are supporting.
>
> That is already in the boilerplate, but I can make it more prominent
>
>> We may also want some testing on ACPI, which will be in tech preview for Xen 4.7. However this is requiring platform with ACPI 6.0 (or later). If I remember correctly, none of the ARM64 platform we support fulfill this requirement. Steve, do you have any platform in mind?
>>
>> Shannon, which platform have you used for the ACPI development? Was it the Foundation Model?
>>
>> If so we would need to write down (or update) a wiki page with the instructions to boot Xen on the model.
>
> That makes sense
>
> There was wallclock also, if I recall

Good point. Stefano, how can it be tested? Is checking the date in the
guest enough?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
@ 2016-05-09 17:14   ` Meng Xu
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Meng Xu @ 2016-05-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Xen-devel, Tianyang Chen, George Dunlap, Chong Li

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
> - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
> - George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity, for hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for HVM guests that should be added?
>
> For the following sections there are some TODO's - please verify and modify and once OK, remove the TODO from the wiki pages.
>
> RTDS (Meng Xu, Tianyang, Chong Li)
> - Meng, you mention improvements to the RTDS scheduler in another thread
> - Are any specific test instructions needed in http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RTDS_scheduler_improvements

I verified the text in the wiki, added one comment "which will not
invoke the scheduler unnecessarily" for the event-driven model.

I removed the TODO in the RTDS section in the wiki.
Please let me know if I need to do something else.

Thank you very much!

Best,

Meng

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-09 17:37   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-05-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wei Liu, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Doug Goldstein,
	Chunyan Liu, George Dunlap, ross.lagerwall, Julien Grall, mengxu,
	Chong Li, Xen-devel

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 04:28:52PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?

I've updated http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XSplice

to have better layout and data. I will have a sub-section on how to test it.

@ 2016-05-09 17:39     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, ross.lagerwall; +Cc: Xen-devel, Wei Liu

> On 9 May 2016, at 18:37, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 04:28:52PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>>
>> I do have some questions, to ...
>> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
>
> I've updated http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XSplice
>
> to have better layout and data. I will have a sub-section on how to test it.

Cool: ping me and I will link to it from the test day page

@ 2016-05-10  1:12     ` Shannon Zhao
From: Shannon Zhao @ 2016-05-10  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Lars Kurth, Xen-devel, Wei Liu, Stefano Stabellini,
	Steve Capper
  Cc: Shannon Zhao

On 2016/5/10 0:17, Julien Grall wrote:
> (CC Shannon, Stefano and Steve)
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> On 09/05/16 16:28, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors
>> are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by
>> replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>>
>> I do have some questions, to ...
>> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have
>> missed?
>> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
>
> General testing of Xen on the boards we are supporting.
>
> We may also want some testing on ACPI, which will be in tech preview for
> Xen 4.7. However this is requiring platform with ACPI 6.0 (or later). If
> I remember correctly, none of the ARM64 platform we support fulfill this
> requirement. Steve, do you have any platform in mind?
>
> Shannon, which platform have you used for the ACPI development? Was it
> the Foundation Model?

The AEMv8A model.

> If so we would need to write down (or update) a wiki page with the
> instructions to boot Xen on the model.

There is a wiki page[1] written by Parth. It needs to update it.

[1] https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Xen_boot_on_FVP_ACPI_UEFI

Shannon

@ 2016-05-10  2:18       ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-05-10  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, George Dunlap, Juergen Gross; +Cc: Xen-devel

[removing Vitaly, adding Juergen]

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:55 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

> > On 9 May 2016, at 17:03, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com>
> > wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Lars Kurth
> > <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > - George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity,
> > > for hotplug disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for
> > > HVM guests that should be added?
> > Hard affinity tests shouldn't be too difficult to add in.
>
> That would be great

George, if you are not into this already, I can do it.

One thing (for Lars). There's a section about "-f option for xl vcpu-
pin". I don't see what's its purpose and what and how one should test
this.

Perhaps Juergen has better ideas, but I think it should just be
removed.

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-10  2:53   ` Chun Yan Liu
From: Chun Yan Liu @ 2016-05-10  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Lars Kurth, Xen-devel
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Doug Goldstein,

<6DB04875-03D4-4542-B06C-2B0412D085BE@gmail.com>, Lars Kurth
<lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are
> on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to
> this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
> - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
> - George: are there any manual tests for credit 2 hard affinity, for hotplug
> disk backends (drbd, iscsi, &c) and soft reset for HVM guests that should be
> added?
>
> For the following sections there are some TODO's - please verify and modify
> and once OK, remove the TODO from the wiki pages.
>
> VCPU-PIN (Juergen Gross)
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#-f_option_for_xl
> _vcpu-pin
>
> RTDS (Meng Xu, Chong Li)
> - Meng, you mention improvements to the RTDS scheduler in another thread
> - Are any specific test instructions needed in
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RTDS_scheduler_i
> mprovements
>
> COLO (Wen Congyang)
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/COLO_-_Coarse_Grain_Lock_Stepping
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#COLO_-_Coarse_Gr
> ain_Lock_Stepping
>
> USB (Chunyan Liu)
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#USB_Support_for_
> xl
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough#PVUSB
> - http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough#PVUSB_in_xl.2Flibxl

Updated!

- Chunyan

> CDP (He Chen)
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Intel_Code_and_D
> ata_Prioritization_.28CDP.29
> -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Intel_Platform_QoS_Technologies#Code_and_Data
> _Prioritization_.28CDP.29
>
> Are there any other big items that are missing?
>
> Regards
> Lars
>
> > On 5 May 2016, at 18:08, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I updated http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Test_Days and created
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions (note that we
> only have one page for all RC's now to avoid unnecessary copy and pasting).
> >
> > For those who want new features to be tested, please expect to
> > a) Explain what to test (a very short description of the feature)
> > b) Add some instructions on how to test (e.g. some command line
> instructions)
> >
> > You can add a new headline (an example is marked with TODO) to either
> > -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_ARM_Tes
> t_Instructions
> > -
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Specific_x86_Tes
> t_Instructions
> > - OR
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#RC_specific_thin
> gs_to_test (under a specific RC heading)
> >
> > I will start promoting Test Days from early next week (on the blog, but
> also on the mailing lists). The more specific test instructions for Xen 4.7
> related features, the better the coverage will be and the more likely people
> are to actually test.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Lars

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-10  2:59   ` Doug Goldstein
  2016-05-10  7:50     ` Kconfig docs [was: Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7] Dario Faggioli
From: Doug Goldstein @ 2016-05-10  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel, Wei Liu
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Chunyan Liu, George Dunlap,
	ross.lagerwall, Julien Grall, mengxu, Chong Li

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 631 bytes --]

On 5/9/16 10:28 AM, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added the following sections based on git logs to man pages. Authors are on the CC list and should review and modify (or suggest edits by replying to this thread). I added/updated/added TODO's to:
>
> I do have some questions, to ...
> - Konrad/Ross: is there any documentation for xSplice which I have missed?
> - Julien: Any ARM specific stuff you want people to test?
> - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push

Not at this time. Unless someone has an idea for what they'd like to see
and I'll go off and do it.

--
Doug Goldstein

@ 2016-05-10  4:02         ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2016-05-10  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli, Lars Kurth, George Dunlap; +Cc: Xen-devel

On 10/05/16 04:18, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> [removing Vitaly, adding Juergen]
>
> On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:55 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>
>>> On 9 May 2016, at 17:03, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Hard affinity tests shouldn't be too difficult to add in.
>>
>> That would be great
>>
> George, if you are not into this already, I can do it.
>
> One thing (for Lars). There's a section about "-f option for xl vcpu-
> pin". I don't see what's its purpose and what and how one should test
> this.
>
> Perhaps Juergen has better ideas, but I think it should just be
> removed.

+1

The only test I could imagine would be to test whether the "-f" option
is accepted.

Juergen

@ 2016-05-10  7:50     ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-05-10  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Doug Goldstein

[trimming the Cc list]

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 21:59 -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On 5/9/16 10:28 AM, Lars Kurth wrote:
> >
> > - Doug: are there any docs / tests for KCONFIG you want to push
> Not at this time. Unless someone has an idea for what they'd like to

This is not specifically related to test-day/test-instructions, but as
far as I can tell:
 1) there's no wiki page saying that we have Kconfig and how to use it,
 2) we haven't blogged about it.

I'd say we should do both, but I guess 2 depends on how much we really
want this possibility of changing the default configuration to be
advertised. As I think the answer is "not much", we may better don't
blog.

But at least 1, I think it should be there.

As a matter of fact, I still haven't given explicitly using Kconfig on
Xen a try yet (despite wanting to), so I'm not sure about the
content... But just something simple stating that it's there, what it
covers (Xen only vs. Xen+tools, etc), how to achieve what's been the
default so far, how to achieve something slightly different...
something like this.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario

@ 2016-05-10  8:46         ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-05-10  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli, Lars Kurth, Juergen Gross; +Cc: Xen-devel

On 10/05/16 03:18, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> [removing Vitaly, adding Juergen]
>
> On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:55 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>
>>> On 9 May 2016, at 17:03, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Hard affinity tests shouldn't be too difficult to add in.
>>
>> That would be great
>>
> George, if you are not into this already, I can do it.

That would be great, thanks. :-)

 -George

@ 2016-05-10 10:04         ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2016-05-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu, Steve Capper, Lars Kurth,
	Shannon Zhao, Xen-devel

On Mon, 9 May 2016, Julien Grall wrote:
> On 09/05/16 17:56, Lars Kurth wrote:
> >
> > > On 9 May 2016, at 17:17, Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > (CC Shannon, Stefano and Steve)
> > >
> > > Hi Lars,

> > > General testing of Xen on the boards we are supporting.
> >
> > That is already in the boilerplate, but I can make it more prominent
> >
> > > We may also want some testing on ACPI, which will be in tech preview for
> > > Xen 4.7. However this is requiring platform with ACPI 6.0 (or later). If I
> > > remember correctly, none of the ARM64 platform we support fulfill this
> > > requirement. Steve, do you have any platform in mind?
> > >
> > > Shannon, which platform have you used for the ACPI development? Was it the
> > > Foundation Model?
> > >
> > > If so we would need to write down (or update) a wiki page with the
> > > instructions to boot Xen on the model.
> >
> > That makes sense
> >
> > There was wallclock also, if I recall
>
> Good point. Stefano, how can it be tested? Is checking the date in the guest
> enough?

Yes, it is enough, provided that the guest doesn't run ntpdate (or
doesn't have access to network).

* Re: Xen 4.7 Test Day Instructions for RC2+ : Call to action for people who added new features / functionality to Xen 4.7
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-10 14:31   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-05-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel, Wei Liu
  Cc: Juergen Gross, Wen Congyang, He Chen, Doug Goldstein,
	Chunyan Liu, George Dunlap, ross.lagerwall, Julien Grall, mengxu,
	Chong Li, Wang, Yong Y

Hi all,

I cleaned the test page page up as much as I could and have time for and incorporated your input: see http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions

Obviously there are still gaps, which could be filled. I did focus on top-level features and features which have a command-line impact.

Best Regards
Lars

@ 2016-05-12  8:04           ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-05-12  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Juergen Gross, Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM, George Dunlap
<george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:

>>> That would be great
>>>
>> George, if you are not into this already, I can do it.
>
> That would be great, thanks. :-)

I've added a section about the new features in Credit2:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.7_RC_test_instructions#Credit2_runqueue_arrangement_and_hard-affinity_support

And I've also added more info and more examples about RTDS: