Attached is an (ugly but relatively simple) patch that allows Xenlinux/ia64 to be built using the linux "-sparse" tree methodology (once I populate some files in the -sparse tree). The changes are not dramatic and I think they can be done much more cleanly, but I'm not a build expert so would appreciate improvements from those more comfortable with the Xen build environment... and perhaps it can be made more generic so the ppc guys can benefit too. The primary changes are: 1) wherever a make is done with ARCH=xen, this needs to be converted to ARCH=ia64. (This can probably be done as ARCH=$(XENARCH) or something like that but I'm not sure how to do it without requiring x86 and x86_64 builds to specify XENARCH= at build time.) 2) A sequence of mkbuildtree "massage" commands need to be executed before mkbuildtree does its linking thing. Perhaps this could be done as: if -e mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH mkbuildtree.prelink.$XENARCH Though ia64 doesn't need it, maybe also add a "postlink" equivalent? There is also one change because the ia64 defconfig filename is different. I can change this filename to conform with the existing convention but perhaps the defconfig pathname could be set as part of the prelink file? Could someone with the necessary build knowledge make the improvements and commit this please? Let me know if/when it goes in and I will populate the ia64 -sparse branches. Thanks, Dan